Thinking about buying a Ford Explorer Platinum... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about buying a Ford Explorer Platinum...

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
So, I test drove a Platinum twice not thinking I'd really want to buy one but once I saw the new cluster design, leather panels, and experienced the massaging seats, I really want to dive in and buy a Platinum. I was honestly going towards a Tesla Model S.

My only dislikes with this car is that the 3.5L Ecoboost really doesn't feel as fast as it could be for some reason. I was flooring it the whole time and I didn't really feel a push like the 3.5L Ecoboost in my F-150. That and all the Platinums seem to have captains chairs and no bench seats. I like the 7 seating and I figured, if the outboard seats are going to be heated, why even get the captains chairs. Sync 3 wasn't available for it either. They removed the A/V inputs that is available on my current Explorer.

However, I am holding myself and I am saying wait, a minute. Should I?

They really have no incentives and the price out the door was MSRP and the dealership wouldn't go lower.

Also, my 43K miles 2011 XLT with 202A package got an appraisal of 17K. Reasonable?

So I need some thoughts. Should I wait for a redesign of the Explorer? (That's when I planned to buy another one) or should I just upgrade now? Is it too much to pay for an Explorer nameplate?

What should I expect out the door price for a 53,900 MSRP or a 55,150 MSRP?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can afford a Tesla, 50K+ shouldn't be an issue for you. Can't speak to the Eco boost as I have the 3.5L N/A and that's plenty of power for me and I came from a 5.0L Mustang. As far as your trade value, I would check what Kelly blue book has to say. Dealers are more likely to low ball you on a trade using auction price value. I've been down that road with them trying to low ball me on my Mustang. Since I new what the value was from KBB, I was able to get a good trade for it. Good luck :salute:

I ordered mine and they are giving me Dealer Invoice any incentives and blue book on my trade in. Personally if they don't want to deal on the price I look elsewhere but that's just me. I am not dealing with a dealership in my immediate area because they didn't want to give me what I wanted. I know what I am willing to pay and find the dealership that wants to met me for the price and trade in. I guess I'm stubborn in my old age. I ordered mine since I wanted the bench seat and didn't want the bucket seats. The waiting is terrible but I know I'll have what I want in it.

I would try an Edmund's, AAA or other pricing service to get some easy comparative shopping, at the very minimum. I'm sure you can do a bit better than MSRP.

The EB is very stout in off the line and top end in the Ex - especially with the traction control off. Gotta keep in mind that most of the clientele for this vehicle are Mommy's that don't want to flip over like the older models and don't really care about the power all that much, so that is probably what Ford took into consideration. So turn off traction control and enjoy if you want to feel what it can do. Also, people have tuned it and actually gotten more out of it. The EB is definitely "de-tuned" in the explorer, but still more than ample and impressive - at least in my Sport.

The F150 EB is geared different with a larger turbos, injection pumps, cams, heads, manifolds, inter-cooler and intake; hence much more power to the rear wheels. Also, consider the clientele there.

For pricing, you may try TrueCar also - dealers cringe when you start to pull those numbers up.

........ That and all the Platinums seem to have captains chairs and no bench seats. I like the 7 seating and I figured, if the outboard seats are going to be heated, why even get the captains chairs. Sync 3 wasn't available for it either. They removed the A/V inputs that is available on my current Explorer.
The Platinum come standard with a 2nd row bench seat. The bucket seats are a $650 option as is the 2nd row console ($150). The RCA jacks were removed from the Explorer with the 2014 model.

Peter

Also, my 43K miles 2011 XLT with 202A package got an appraisal of 17K. Reasonable?
That is a pretty piss poor trade in offer. The Ford dealer offered $20k for my wife's 2011 XLT with under 50k miles initially. We eventually settled on $21k. That was based on auction prices.

Run your VIN through Autotrader's Trade-in Market Place. It will give you exactly what participating dealers are willing to pay for your car, along with a list of dealers in your area that you can take the offer/car to. I've used it a couple times. After inspection, they always gave me a few hundred more dollars. Not sure if I was understating the condition of my cars or the wash and vacuuming I did made the cars look more expensive. LOL.

Don't settle for an auction price for your trade. Do the search as has been suggested through KBB, Edmonds, True car, etc. After the deal I made for my '15 Explorer, I checked my trade in deal through True car and found that according to their stats, my trade deal was outstanding but, I already new that. :D I believe if you are trading, the most important thing about any deal you make for a new car is getting the best value on your trade possible. Negotiating on price for the car you want to purchase will usually get you a few grand off MSRP and at best, below invoice. Take your time. :salute:

Thanks guys. Glad I didn't go through with the purchase and came here first. I might even wait a bit longer or just wait until a complete redesign.

You might be waiting a minute on a redesign. With all the changes they made with the 2016 I do not see the redesign being done till at least 2019. You will see sync 3 next year and maybe a few other minor changes, but I do not see Ford doing all the changes to the 2016 model to keep them for just one year. Just my opinion though...

Back