Thinking about buying this Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about buying this Explorer

Dawgpack

Reaction score
City, State
Bozeman, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Hey guys, so coming from a Ranger background I don't know much about the specifics of an explorer. I'm looking to buy one though. I found a 1999 Eddie Bauer. I'd just like some advice on whether or not the price is fair and stuff. it has 4.10 gears in it and I'm planning on some 33s so that's a big selling point for me. the ad doesnt say but it has 135k miles. anyway, what do you all think?

http://www.xcitemotors.com/vehicle-details//403621a8798eca4abee71b5f4dcdebbd/1999+ford+explorer+eddie+bauer+-+4wd+4-door+suv.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Start it and let it get to temperature. Listen to any chain rattles - that 4.0 is "famous" for timing chain failures.

Looks clean, but as with most lots, the price seems a little high.

Hmmm ok. I did hear a squeak when it was running that sounded like it was coming from a belt. The guy told me he would spray some lube on it and it would go away and it's no big deal. Could that be a potential problem?

Since it has a 4.0 SOHC V6, I'd be concerned that the vehicle has all of it's service records, especially those regarding the timing chain/timing chain cassette system.

You might want to have it checked over by a mechanic that specializes in Fords before putting down any $$$$.

NOTE: Ad states that it this Ex is "One Owner and Well Cared For" - so in my book I'd ask to see all the service records.

If there were no service records, that would be cause for running away OR offering the low retail side of the Kelly Blue Book.

You can look at the print version of the Kelly Blue Book in the Reference Section of your local public library.

Way overpriced !!!! I bought my 99 Eddie Bauer with 160K 3 month ago for $2900 off a ford dealers lot outside of Houston....It ran rough and rode like crap,,but interior and exterior was perfect....Some plugs,wires,vac lines and intake gaskets,,,it runs perfect now,,,some shocks,swaybar links and bushing front and rear ,and it rides great now...I have less than 4K into it....I think you can find a better deal...

Agreed- anyone that says they're going to spray "lube" on a belt to make it stop isn't anyone I'd want to buy a vehicle from, let alone pay that much for it... Find a private party truck, they're all over and a much better deal than any Explorer at a dealership.

yeah way too overpriced ! I just got a 99 sport with 129.000km's for 1200 in really nice shape but I did put a little time and about $100 into the transmision. I drove a b4000 4x4 for the last ten years,gotta say I like that better than the ex although I really like the ex.

Need to make one more point....These vehicles are 10-13 yrs old...The odds of finding a perfect one aren't too good....Or one with maint records...Especially one from a little side road dealer...So,if you want a dependable truck,,you need to expect to put some $$ into it right after buying...Oil change, tranny filter ,diff fluid, radiator flush.wheel bearings ,,etc...Check ball joints and bearings..Most of the parts for these are relatively inexpensive,,even from Ford.....Do your homework before buying....These trucks are a dime a dozen.

I agree with these trucks getting old although around here they are not near a dime a dozen, they were 6 years ago. Cash for clunkers, rust and ill conceived motors have sent many a 2nd gen to the breakers.
Around here you dont even really see first gen Exploders as they all lost their trans, motors or rotted away. Most wrote 200k with that pushrod 4.0.

The truck you listed would be a nice truck and probably even the going rate price wise around here if the miles are good and it had a V8, as it sits most corner dealies would put it on the lot for the same price listed.
It really is too bad it has that god forsaken POS OHC 4.0 because it is a clean high line truck. The miles arent listed but for that money they should be right around 111k, which would be great on a 5.0 but with that particular engine if the chains havent been done its nothing more than a timebomb waiting for a victim, too bad for whoever gets it.
A later model engine is pretty reasonable to get but could be very expensive to get installed and who wants to think about changing an engine on a vehicle they just paid $5,500 for ?

I'm a die hard Ford fan and I wouldn't touch that motor with a ten foot pole.
OHC chain motors kinda suck in general, I have a Supercharged Hi-Po 4 cam Ford V8 and shudder to think about those chains, although problems are rare.
The Japs really got it right with the rubber band timing belts, rip the accessories off, pull of the tins and its all right there for you. Usually with simple timing marks.

Good luck in your travels.

Oh yea and half the second gens for sale are not worth even driving they are so junked up and clapped out, and these people will want 3 grand for that garbage.

It says 135k in his first post...

Actually, if you don't need it right now, wait until spring. Snow thaws, Explorer prices drop. Then they're a dime a dozen. :)

i believe its over priced. I paid 3000 for my '00 limited with identical kms and options a year ago. only difference is mine is the V8. after reading testimonies on this website and learning more information about my truck, i would suggest only getting a V8 explorer because of the engine reliability and stronger transmission. plus i pull the same mileage on the highway as my dad did with his 4.0

Back