Thinking Camo.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking Camo....

So the X is starting to show some surface rust here and there and I was kicking around the idea of a new paint job. I don't want to spend over $1000 for new paint on the truck so I was looking for alternatives. I was thinking about doing the bedliner paint job, but was also considering camo. Opinions? Maybe do both? A dark green or black paintable bedliner base and the camo pattern on top of that? Also, how hard is it to paint the camo patterns? I want it to look decent, not like me and a bunch of my redneck friends got into a spraypaint fight. lol. Am I getting in over my head here? Any advice/insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...or maybe a tan basecoat so I don't have to change the color on my registration. This is what it looks like now, minus the step-bars and lifted about 2"...

n1336071627_30319216_5384475.jpg

Thanks for the info. Not sure I'm looking for military camo per-se. I'm thinking more along something like Realtree, just without all the detail. I found this video and this more along the lines of what I'm thinking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG4DlUhnM-U

What do you think?

I think you should just go with a solid color

How about a solid Olive drab. I've seen some Home Grown camo jobs and a lot of them was just lousy. Unless you have done some I personally would stay away. Just my opinion.
Although I'm thinking of building my own M416 military trailer and it may be OD or a Desert Storm type pattern
Below is a link about OD. But I also noticed that they sell camo paint.

Do not know a thing about this Company, so buyer beware. .
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_whatisod.php3

I'll be painting my 'sploder OD pretty soon. I came across this website when looking up paint sources. The shipping is a bit high, but I guess that's normal with paint. (Click on "GCI pain" in the to banner)

~Rev

Spray the whole Ex Desert Tan and leave it at that. I can't say I like the NATO camouflage pattern, and a solid color tends to conceal better especially when it collects a few layers of local dirt.

Why thank you :D

the cammo isnt that bad to paint, as you cant really mess it up, no 2 vehicles are evr the same. the problem with most of the homemade camo jobs is a lack of reference, and without that it dosnt look "right"

when i did mine i had multiple field manual printouts for vehicle painting as well as pictures and even a few models of various scales in the shop so i kept the feel of it right. mine is styled after the 3 color nato circa '99 in the KFOR

if your looking for realtree or any hunter camo for that matter the same applies, studdy the pattern in various scales and have some examples on hand when you do it

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input!

I'll be doing the type of hunters camo in the youtube clip; but I have to wait until the snow goes away, as I'll be doing it outside, because I don't have a shop and/ or garage to do this in. I'll be using a black undercoat and go from there. I got a lot of help from just browsing around in this part of the forum for what I'm going to be doing :)

On second thought, I'll be going with a tan base. After I get all of the old paint("sun treated" red) off. I'm sure I'll be changing my mind over and over, since I have some time to think about it and let it drive me crazy :)

I hear what you're saying about waiting until spring. I'll be doing mine outside as well. The only thing I'm trying to figure out right now is if I want to do the base coat in paint, or maybe a bedliner like Rhino-liner for added durability and sound insulation, etc. Just gotta see how much of a difference in price it's gonna be. |SkidRow| keep us updated on your progress as well!

That's something to think about. If you go with a liner, will it be rough or smooth? I might do that; like I said, lots of time to change your mind and think of new stuff. I'll be getting a belt sander and taking off the old paint and start on the metal with a nice primer and find my stencil around the yard ;)

I live in the great white North, so I have no choice in waiting until later in the year lol.

Just about done with mine, love it!

IMAG0522.jpg

Back