DjDom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL(imited)
Hi everyone of the Escape forum,

I'm debating on purchasing an Escape, the 2007-2012 Body style (2nd gen?).

Anyone have any advice, what to watch out for, or just general problems with these crossovers?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Several Escapes just made Consumer Reports list of "cars to avoid". Not sure why, I just saw it on the Escape Facebook page. I didn't see the article.

2nd gens on that list:
2007, 2009-2010 V6

I have an '06 Mariner V6 AWD and a '12 Escape V6 AWD. I like the '12 better. It has a 6 speed transmission vs the 4 speed in the Mariner. That results in much less noise and better economy. Plus the seats in the '12 (limited trim) are much nicer. The V6 is a pretty nice motor. Changing the spark plugs can be a pain (need to remove the intake manifold to get to the rear 3 plugs). The AWD is great in the snow and some people even takes theirs on trails. The rear window seal leaks on some early 2nd gens which causes the rear lock actuator to fail- looks to be an easy DIY fix though and there's some video tutorials out there.

Good vehicles. I bought 2.

I don't see why they should be avoided..

Any drive train issues/major issues that you know of?

I've been perfectly happy with my 2010, it's got around 60,000 miles now and no mechanical issues yet... I have the 2.5L which has quite a bit of empty space in teh engine compartment... seems like pretty much everything int here is easy to reach as far as I can tell... for when it does start having problems :).

Transmissions are hit and miss. Some go quickly <50K and others last forever (first transmission in our escape lasted 60K and next at 180K going fine with 99% highway on both.) The first transmission was serviced every 25-30K and still had issues.

Fuel economy could be better (3.0 DOHC with AWD) it is around 20 mpg with a very small gas tank so it feels like you are constantly putting fuel in it.

Seats are not my favorite but it has been a great car for us (249K and counting).

Knowing what I know, I would not hesitate to get another one like it.

They are fantastic bad weather (ice snow rain) vehicles with the AWD. Also lots of cargo room!!!

Back