Thinking of buying looking for info on changes... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of buying looking for info on changes...

Andy94SC

Reaction score
City, State
Fenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
Hi!
We are probably getting an Explorer or Mountaineer in the next week or so. I have been doing some research, so I know a little about them, but there is a lot of information out there to sort through. Based on our budget I think we are looking at a 1997 - 2001, most likely a Mountaineer. There are a couple of nice ones nearby, and I like the idea of a 5.0L and AWD. It will be my wife driving it 95% of the time, and we are looking for something reliable.

What I am looking for is more information on the differences for each model year in that range. Is there a difference between a 1998, and a 1999 for example. Also is there any combination I should look out for? Anything we should try to avoid? Is there an actual FAQ on these vehicles somewhere?

Any info would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to Explorer Forum! I don't know much about the second generations. We have a section just for that truck. Happy posting!

Go Mountaineer. (yes I'm biased):D
There is no difference between 98 or 99. I have a '97 and like it, but with a 98-'01 you are guaranteed to get one with the "P" heads with the 5.0 Now they did make Mountaineers with the 4.0 from 98-01 but are fairly rare.

The "P" heads have more power and an external EGR where the non "P" heads have an internal EGR.

Great trucks, just make sure you buy one that has been well maintained. They take ALOT of abuse, but its always nice to have a good truck.. 5.0 = reliable as all hell. but with the AWD configuration, it sucks gas. But there are alot of things to do to them. They are really great trucks, and you cant go wrong. and trust me, they are way better then the chevy blazer/trailblazer (personal expirence). with better motors and more space. Good luck

Go Mountaineer. (yes I'm biased):D
There is no difference between 98 or 99. I have a '97 and like it, but with a 98-'01 you are guaranteed to get one with the "P" heads with the 5.0 Now they did make Mountaineers with the 4.0 from 98-01 but are fairly rare.

The "P" heads have more power and an external EGR where the non "P" heads have an internal EGR.

That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I think we have settled on '99 Mountaineer. It looks like it has been well taken care of, I don't see evidence of it having any major work done to the engine or body. I've been suprised, half of the ones we looked at seem to have had front end crash evidence.

The only down side is some rust in the bottom of the rear doors, and on the rear bumper, but it is an amazingly small amount of rust for a Michigan vehicle nearly 10 years old...

I have 202k on my '97 Mounty and the transmission or engine has never been rebuilt and I'm somewhat hard on it.

I think im going to pick up a 5.0 tonight aswell. getting rid of my 4.0.

Back