Thinking of changing up the rims for summer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of changing up the rims for summer

UKPONY

Reaction score
City, State
Medicine Hat, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Adrenalin
I just bought an '08 Adrenalin which currently has a set of Blizzak tires mounted on the factory rims. The vehicle came with the OEM summer tires but no rims for them.

Doing a bit of online research I've discovered that a past purchasing error might work out for this. A while back I bought a set of Shelby Razors with the intention of them being spares for my CS6 but in my haste didn't spot that they had a 30mm offset instead of the 24mm offset that is needed to clear the bigger brakes. I've since tracked down a correct set & the rims sit in the garage together waiting for a day they become useful.

The "incorrect" set I have are 20x9's with a 30mm offset & 6.2" back spacing which according to an online calculator should fit on the Adrenalin. My only remaining question is whether the stock tires 255/50/20's will fit the 9" wide rim when the factory rims are 8" wide. I think they may but might look a bit stretched. Any thoughts or experience with this rim/tire width issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A friendly tire shop could mount one up to see how it looks.
Maybe switch it all around and mount the Blizzak tires on the Shelby Razors?

Yes, they will fit. I have Shelby CS40's 20 x 9 with a 25mm offset at all corners and brembo calipers with no problems... I have 265-50-20 tires though. The stock 255s will fit safely, they will look a bit stretched. Not an unsafe situation though....:usa:

^^ good to know, thanks :).

Now to figure out which TPMS sensors I need for my '08

Did a test fit of the Razors today just to see how they looked;
5aa7a67b343ff8cedd808526f39d2964_zps05132fde.jpg

71eb508756a12bb94edf675381164ec9_zps16f2599f.jpg

1077d53f3ddd008db3d7cfcc82f8236d_zps909a41ff.jpg

6d1a33b97890eedac6afe95a1d5765d7_zps350e5934.jpg

I remembered I have a set of mustang rims & tires in my garage that I bought used so don't know if hey have TPMS or not. Going to see if Canadian Tire or someone has their tire shop open today to separate the tires from the rims - would hate to sell the rims cheap & find out later I could have saved a couple of hundred bucks on sensors.

Edit: No sensors on the Mustang rims. Darn.

It dawned on me today that my CS6 has 255 tires on the same rims & looks fine, it does have a smaller sidewall (255/35/20) than the Adrenalins (255/50/20) but now I'm happy that everything should work out. Just ordered a set of TPMS sensors & activation tool from American Muscle so as soon as they arrive I'll have the tires mounted & balanced ready for the warmer weather.

Back