• Register Today It's free!

thinking of getting a ranger

xplrsport01

Reaction score
City, State
Chantilly, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
well i used to have a 01 explorer sport on 33's wrecked it bought a subaru wrx and its lost its luster, and i want back into the 4x4 world. I'm thinkin of a ranger since I've always loved the edge lifted. Here's my delema I have a 2 1/2 yr old and well can a car seat fit on the jumper seats?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Problem is the seats are the facing inward so I would think the normal rearend impact would not be very good for my 3 year old. Child seats are designed to be facing forward. When I have to take her in the ranger she sits in the front, in her seat with the airbag turned off. Same goes for my 6 year old. I never take to both of them together as that why I have a exploder.

Yeah, I don't think that the ranger is too safe for a child needing to be in a car or booster seat.

my girlfriend has a 1 1/2 year old. have to put the seat in the front. besure to shut off the airbag though.

The later model Rangers have the automatic shutoff of the passenger airbag when there's not enough weight. The jump seats are fine for small adults on a short trip but that's about it, and some may get car sick sitting sideways. Much as I love my Ranger I would have gone for something with a real back seat if I still had little kids.

id have to say go buy a explorer . both me an my wife both have explorer sports just cause my kids dont travel with us to much so we dont need a 4 door. but with young children get a 4 door.youll have the room an 4x4.

Or you could get an extended cab ranger, cage it, and put a third forward facing seat in the middle for the baby. Just my 2 million cents.

seat

I just put a seat out of a Aerostar(third row smallest one) into my 97 Ranger SC. It fits pretty good and you have to custom bolt it to the floor but it is for our dogs and I don't know how it would work for kids. If you mount it properly you really should not have a safty issue. I suppose if I had children I'd buy a 4dr. Explorer but I would hate to lose the bed. In San Diego I can buy a Explorer for much less than a Ranger(91-94 Explorer versus 93-97 Ranger).

How about a sport trac?
They look pretty badass on 33's :D
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203655

The ranger isn't a good choice if you have a young child. The only (relatively) safe way to transport a small one in a ranger is in the front seat with the airbag off...
I've been very happy with my sport trac so far. The back seat has about the same amount of room as a 4 door explorer. I always hated the way they look until I saw one lifted. It gets around great now and has room for 4 comfortably.

Back