Thinking of my next project 01+ sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of my next project 01+ sport

I've thinking lately...If my job situation does not change soon, I'll have no choice but to try to sell the JP Mobile:( I know I'll never get out of it what I have in it though:rolleyes: So I was thinking if I did get to that point, what would I build next?

sport_revamp.jpg

I thinking 01+ Sport. Make go on a huge diet! Lose the doors, rear hatch, all glass, but maybe the windshield. Gut the interior, and cut the back half of the roof. Go with a flat color, very goverment/future style look. Maybe even go to full LED for all lights. Thinking 40's on SD axles, but depends on what she weight is getting rid of all that. Boatside part way, and maybe even narrowing the front and the rear. Full cage, race seats and maybe see if there is room for a rear bench seat. Not sure..just thinking...

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Don't sell the JP mobile...:thumbdwn:

...As soon as you do, we will all be sad...:(

No way you could ever build that for what you could sell your 4 door for. Plus, you've got a family now, you'll be happy you have a roof and doors that close (think Truckhaven Wind).

If money gets that tight, get rid of the trailer.

What's the most we've seen a solid axled caged Explorer sell for? Jefe got like what? 8K with coilovers and a turbo400 trans. It seems like the desert trucks have a higher resale as far as Fords go, but I think you'll regret any move you make.

Even if you got a steal on a Sport and everything you put in it was used goods, let's say the build was
truck+ conservative repairs to make trail worthy=$1,500
axles=$600
gears/lockers=$1000 (super duty's are not cheap to gear)
suspension/fab work/shocks/=$1000
cage/tubework=$300
wheels/tires=$600

That right there is $5k.

If (and that's a big if) you could sell your truck for $8k, I'd say there is way better ways to lose $3k, and the $5K is EXTREMELY conservative when you say 40s. Plus how many trips to the hardware store to buy nuts/bolts/cutoff wheels that cost $100 a trip would you make?

Maybe I'm biased, I think an SUV was ment to have a hard top and doors.

I'm still pissed I tossed my old truck in the garbage, I was in a different situation (very busy at work, bad relationship with the EX) and didn't make time to tinker on a truck. You will regret it.

Full on tube buggy for me. Hopefully sooner than later.

My vote is for a tube buggy as well especially if you are going to go through the trouble of SASing and cutting the body all up.You will come out ahead and be much happier with a full tube buggy.

Oh...and dont sell the JP mobile!

My only thought is why an 01'? Why not do a first gen sport. Simple, easier to hack up, easier to SAS. If you want a better drive train swap in a 5.0 and you'd have more power than you'll ever need.

Of course, no one has done an 01' yet. So that is a good reason to do it.

My only thought is why an 01'? Why not do a first gen sport. Simple, easier to hack up, easier to SAS.

What's easier about it specifically?

My only thought is why an 01'? Why not do a first gen sport. Simple, easier to hack up, easier to SAS.
For one, if that 01 Sport is manual, then that would mean the M5odR1-HD transmission, as opposed to the non-HD versions in the previous years.

I like the idea, but its not going to save or get you any money.

Unless-

You are thinking of selling JP right now, using money through hard times, and THEN later on when job market is better build an 01. The bad thing is SAS'd Explorers are not really bringing any money right now. Even as cool as the JP is id be suprised if you got 1/4 what its worth for it.

Back