Thinking of Purchasing an Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of Purchasing an Explorer

theraven871

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Chrysler Pacifica
In 2008, I purchased a Ford Explorer XLT on a whim (Dealers were quick to discount vehicles when gas prices were $4.75 a gallon), I absolutely loved the vehicle.

Unfortunately, my Ford Explorer was in a serious collision that completed wrecked the vehicle. At the time, I owned a mini-van and the explorer and decided to look for a vehicle that I could have 3 rows with AWD. We eventually settled on a Chrysler Pacifica (fully loaded). While this vehicle has been fantastic for my family, I never really grew attached to it.

Now, in the next 30 days, I've decided to purchase another vehicle. I'm currently looking at several used 2013 XLT's and Limited model Ford Explorers. I want leather, navigation, sunroof, 3rd row and AWD. I'm also comparing it to vehicles such as the Hyundai Santa Fe, Dodge Durango, Kia Sorento, GMC Acadia and Nissan Pathfinder. (Most likely will avoid the Pathfinder and Durango as both of them have major transmission issues).

While I absolutely loved my previous Explorer, I also recall that it wasn't exactly what I would call a 'reliable vehicle'. As the miles started to add up, I started having various issues. So I have a few questions for everyone.

Have the explorers become a bit more reliable?
What are the common issues that people see with these models?
How can I tell if a used model has the "tow package"?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have the explorers become a bit more reliable?
What are the common issues that people see with these models?
How can I tell if a used model has the "tow package"?

I've had 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2014 and now 2016 Explorers. All of them have been as reliable as any vehicle on the road. The 2006 had transmission issues but was repaired under warranty and never had a problem after that.

There are a lot of nit-picky issues that show up on the internet, but generally ignore them.

Look and see if it has the tow setting on the dash under the headlight switch and that it has the tow hitch under the read bumper. There is also a transmission cooler that you can see looking under the front end.

I had a 2006, then after a time away from an SUV came back into CPO 13 and have since gone into my 16. Very pleased on both (actually all 3, but 2 are on the current platform)

I've seen the tow button on the left hand side of the dash before. Can I assume that if I see an Explorer with this button, that it has the tow package and can tow up to 5,000lbs?

I'm generally not worried about slight cosmetic issues. The primary issues I'm concerned with are powertrain, cooling, HVAC, suspension, AWD. If a piece of trim falls off, that's hardly the end of the world to me. I wouldn't be happy about it, but its very different from a slipping transmission.

Anyone else have any thoughts to share?

I've seen the tow button on the left hand side of the dash before. Can I assume that if I see an Explorer with this button, that it has the tow package and can tow up to 5,000lbs?

I'm generally not worried about slight cosmetic issues. The primary issues I'm concerned with are powertrain, cooling, HVAC, suspension, AWD. If a piece of trim falls off, that's hardly the end of the world to me. I wouldn't be happy about it, but its very different from a slipping transmission.

Anyone else have any thoughts to share?
Just an FYI. As long as you are sticking with used Explorers or ones on the lot you should be okay. March 16th is the final order date for a 2016. Something to keep in mind.

Peter

I saw a TV ad this morning here in Memphis TN that Ford is offering 0% financing for 60 months on new SUVs including the Explorer. Might be a good incentive to go new if you need to purchase quickly.

I'm paying cash. Not interested in financing.

I've had 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2014 and now 2016 Explorers. All of them have been as reliable as any vehicle on the road. The 2006 had transmission issues but was repaired under warranty and never had a problem after that.

There are a lot of nit-picky issues that show up on the internet, but generally ignore them.

No offense, but you have not had any of your vehicles long enough to experience long-term reliability issues. :) Count yourself fortunate.

I have ~55-60k on my '11 Ltd AWD and it has been in for service more times than I can recall- literally. The problems are all noted in this forum, though you may have to spend some time reading to get a full list.

Would I buy a used one? That is a tough question to answer because my experience has been so bad. That said, there are probably many, many people out there who don't care about/notice the problems (typical consumer, not a "car guy"). There are certainly many Explorers built better than mine and the odds are that you will get one of those.

BUT!!!! There are quality issues with this vehicle which are going to be expensive over time. I'm sure folks can add to the list, but here is a start:
1)A/C compressor issues
2) Transmission hard shifts 30-40 mph. Feels like you got hit by a little car going just a bit faster than you when it shifts, that kind of hard shift. Long term problem? Expensive if it is.
3) Vibration while driving. We still don't know what causes this. I have had worn front suspension components replaced at my cost. If you have a vibration, it is going to wear parts out. Expensive repairs.
4) Water leaks around doors are going to lead to rust or door electrical issues issues eventually and there are already known paint issues at the door sills.
5) Hood front edge paint bubbling and chipping.
6) A-Pillar rattles were covered under TSB or warranty but have been recurring.
7) Interior ventilation issues- unconditioned air entering and poor distribution of conditioned air.
8) Rear brakes dragging
9) Poor fuel economy is not an issue with current fuel prices but know that mine averages about 18.5 mpg with 50/50 highway/small town driving (no traffic jams, only stop for a few traffic lights).

The biggest question may be what type of dealership do you have nearby. If they are the old-school scumbags I would look elsewhere because you will need their help at some point. I would check this list: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379200

Good luck!

Back