Thinking of switching to Amsoil... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of switching to Amsoil...

X6StringerX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
I've always ran Valvoline High Mileage in my high mileage vehicles, but after reading a lot on this forum, I think I might make the switch to a full synthetic. Amsoil sounds very promising.

My only concern is that my Explorer has 129k miles and I was wondering if it might be a bad idea to switch to a full synthetic at this point? There are no visible leaks currently and the engine purrs like a kitten with no putters, no rough idling, and no stalls. Do you guys recommend switching to Amsoil in my situation? Also, has anyone used the Amsoil Engine Flush? Is it basically the same as Sea Foam? I have a "to do" list for the Explorer. So far, it includes the following:

Sea Foam (already purchased... going to attempt it tomorrow)
Plugs (Bosch Platinum... going to change them in the next couple days after the Sea Foam)
Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 Motor Oil
Amsoil EA011 Oil Filter
Amsoil EAA122 Air Filter
Amsoil Series 2000 75w-90 Differential Fluid (Is this recommended for both the front AND rear in an AWD?)
Synthetic Tranny Fluid (any recommendations?)
Shocks (either Bilstein or Monroe Reflex... opinions?)
Bushings (poly bushings of some sort... haven't researched them... opinions?)
Debadge Emblems (probably do this tomorrow when I Sea Foam)
Clean Throttle Body (tomorrow)
Coolant Flush
Replace PCV Valve
Ghetto Air Box Mod (drill holes in under side of air box to increase flow... maybe tomorrow)
Tires (Falken STZ04 255/70/15... probably within the month)
Brake Pads (I think I'm going to make the switch to ceramic pads to minimize dust)

Oh yeah, I've had the X for about a month... I took it the next day after purchasing it and had true duals installed... 2-1/2" all the way back with 3" chrome tips. It has a nice deep growl now.

Any suggestions, tips, etc. are welcome... furthermore, they're encouraged and appreciated! ;)

~Jordan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may want to get the amsoil engine cleaner before you change the oil over. You put it in and run it for 5 min idle. When you drain the oil it will be black. On the air box I drilled hole to fit metal dryer hose. Used foil duck tape to attach it to the box ran it down to the front of air dam. I got my cold air ram induction system. :)

If you have no leaks, then I wouldn't see a problem switching, although the 0W30 is the thinest stuff out there, so if you have a leak, you'll know it. I've done the engine flush before, and it might not be a bad idea. As Iggy said, just dump it in the oil, idle for a while (I think I did it for 15 minutes), then drain the oil.

I've used the 0W30 for the life of my truck. Switched the tranny to Amsoil ATF at about 120k, and have also switched the tcase and diffs to full synthetic.

Good luck finding and getting to the PCV. Might want to search the sight for pointers. I've got some photos that I need to get posted here on of these days.

Thanks for the replies guys. The PCV tip has been noted. I recall reading a thread saying it can be seen from the passenger side, blah blah blah...

Anyways, I changed the game plan up a wee bit. I bought 5w-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic today, but I will switch to the Amsoil next oil change. I wanted to experiment with a full synthetic first before taking the plunge. Before changing the oil today, I ran 1/3 of the Sea-Foam through the brake booster vacuum line, 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 in the gas tank. I drove it around for about 15 minutes after the initial dose to the vacuum line. The smoke wasn't overwhelming and it disappeared in about 30 seconds. I guess I do a good enough job blowing the carbon out myself. :eek: :p :D The X runs like a top, but it did before the treatment as well. I wasn't really looking for a "miracle in a can" to begin with, but so far there is little or no difference. Not that I'm not satisfied with that... I'd be happy if the X ran like this the entire time I own it.

The new plugs will be changed in the next day or so. It started raining as soon as I finished the oil change.

X6StringerX said:
My only concern is that my Explorer has 129k miles and I was wondering if it might be a bad idea to switch to a full synthetic at this point?

I think it's never a bad idea...I'd do it. My current truck was switched over after I bought it in the year 2000, at 75,000 miles.

X6StringerX said:
Also, has anyone used the Amsoil Engine Flush?

I used their Engine Flush stuff when I switched over initially. It didn't hurt anything. I don't know if it helped anything, either...but they recommended it so I did it. :)

X6StringerX said:
Is it basically the same as Sea Foam?

I don't know if Engine Flush is the same as Sea Foam. Probably not exactly. I've never looked too close. They might both be petroleum base but that's about it. Sea Foam is great stuff BUT I would advise you NOT to put Sea Foam in your oil. AMSOIL doesn't need any such additives in it.

X6StringerX said:
Plugs (Bosch Platinum... going to change them in the next couple days after the Sea Foam)

I recommend Motorcraft plugs. Not Boschs in our trucks. There are worse plugs though, Bosch should be ok if you already bought them.

X6StringerX said:
Synthetic Tranny Fluid (any recommendations?)

AMSOIL synth ATF. I recommend you do a good flush and pan drop and filter change as well while you're at it. Search for the threads on trans flushes for detailed info.

X6StringerX said:
Shocks (either Bilstein or Monroe Reflex... opinions?)

Either are good, I favor Monroe Reflex a bit over Bil's but not by much. Avoid Edelbrock IAS though, in my opinion, unless you want a tight stiff street ride...Edelbrocks are good in the corners but bad on the bumps. But Monroes and Bilsteins are both better shocks imo.

X6StringerX said:
Bushings (poly bushings of some sort... haven't researched them... opinions?)

Your sig says you have a 98 Explorer...therefore you don't have radius arm bushings. I was gonna recommend Energy Suspension polys 'cause those or Daystars are the only ones worth getting...if I was going poly. :D

I've switched to Amsoil at various mileages on my vehicles, including one that had over 200K on it. It is never a bad idea at any time IMO -- except if you already have a serious oil-related problem like burning or leaking. Amsoil won't help that, and will make leaks worse because it will clean out all the crud that helps pack the seals.

I too suggest the Motorcraft double platinum plugs on the Ford engines. I love Bosch, but not in the Ford with the lost fire scheme (the way the coils fire). I've seen a couple of cases where performance was worse after the switch.

Filter wise, you are good with Amsoil or with Mobil 1 -- or the K&N. All are pricey, but work. I'm currently running the Mobil 1 but have used the Amsoil as well.

I see no reason to use any engine flush.

If it makes you feel better, pour a quart of new oil through the motor and out the drain.

I too recommend staying away from Bosh plugs; motorcraft double platinum for my recommendation.

I appreciate all of the replies. Very insightful. This community appears to be second to none in terms of automotive knowledge.

I bought the Bosch plugs after reading mixed reviews. Some love them and some hate them. I haven't formed an opinion on them as of right now, but I got such a good deal on them that I couldn't pass them up. With the mail-in-rebate, they ran me about $1.40 each.

Again, thanks for the replies guys.

I bought the Bosch plugs after reading mixed reviews. Some love them and some hate them. I haven't formed an opinion on them as of right now, but I got such a good deal on them that I couldn't pass them up. With the mail-in-rebate, they ran me about $1.40 each.
--------------
Do the same with your oil. Just buy the one on sale.

X6StringerX said:
I appreciate all of the replies. Very insightful. This community appears to be second to none in terms of automotive knowledge.

Again, thanks for the replies guys.

You were warned.

Back