thinking of trading for a 02 explorer tell me your experience! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

thinking of trading for a 02 explorer tell me your experience!

jordanr1987

Reaction score
City, State
london ontario canada
hello all just registered to see what you guys think?

right now i have a 2003 silverado 4.8L engine extended cab with rear wheel drive with 110,000 miles (178,000 kms)

im thinking of trading for an explorer and a used dealership agreed to do a straight trade but im not too familiar with the explorer or their issues (if there are any) and was wondering what kind of issues you've had so far?

the explorer is a 2002 xlt model 4L v6 with 7 passenger seating, 4x4 leather interior power windows locks mirrors and seats with 114,000 miles (185,000 kms) and not sure of the history

the leather seats and 4x4 would be nice for living in canada during the winter

the dealer is normally selling the explorer for 7999 +tax and i paid $6500 for my truck through a wholesale dealer and haven't had to make any repairs yet

would there be a huge decrease in gas consumption from going from v8 down to v6?
and what kind of repairs have you had to do?

thanks alot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, mileage from the V8 Ex is the same as the V6 Ex. Not sure what yo're getting with your truck, but expect 13-14 city in the winter and 17-19 hwy. It'll go up in the summer, not much though (+1-ish)

As for issues, the 2002 was a bad year for transmissions. Rear wheel bearings, rear coil shocks, and a few other things.

If a dealer wants to trade you straight up, I'm actually not sure that I would take it.

Joe has good points about the faults of the '02.

I just bought an '02 with over 140,000 on the clock about 5 months ago. So far, I've had no problems (knock on wood) but the previous owner had to put three transmissions in it. It's now on it's third with only 20,000 miles on it so I'm keeping fingers crossed.

Can you have the dealer give you a car fax on it? You can also request an Oasis report that should show everything any Ford dealer had done, including recalls.

If those check out, the money thing works for you and you're feeling lucky, I'd say go for it. They're great vehicles, IMHO.

(Of course, I reserve the right to withdraw that statement if something should happen to mine over the next 12 months!)

Keep us updated on how this comes out.

Thanks and good luck.

I bought a later build '02 about a year ago with 112,000mi on the clock. Nothings "needed" to be fixed yet although I have done preventative things on my own. Fluids, Struts, tune up, ect......

I know a tranny rebuild is somewhere in the near future because it is starting to act quirky. My rear hatch latch needs to be repaired and there is a nice "to do" list I have for some minor things(some rattles and cosmetics).

Besides that it has been a great truck for me. 4x4 works great and the V8 is very strong. Always starts and everything "works".

That being said Im not sure I would make that deal. Might think different if it was a v8 and you had a good, detailed service history. Basically you would be trading a trouble free v8 for a weaker v6 that I can almost guarantee has something wrong with it. All for a few mpg's that you really wouldnt notice I bet.

I am positive you could take your truck to another dealer and find a good trade for a V8 '03. Or atleast a later build '02. They're supposed to be a little more reliable.

The devil you know vs. the devil you don't know. Doesn't sound like a great deal. An even deal at best, assuming no problems with the new truck. Now, if it were an '06 X, I might feel differently.

The weak points of the '02 are well known to those that own them, and those that frequent this board: Wheel bearings (all), the 5R55W tranny, some electrical component failures (4x4 module, HVAC blend door actuators), some trim weaknesses (back hatch panel, poor pillar paint).

Although '02s are not known as the most reliable of Explorers, they are decent vehicles.

MY '02 Limited, AWD, 4.6L, all available options (7 passenger, leather, 2 zone HVAC etc), has been a nice ride, and all in all has been reliable for the most part. Now at 113.5K miles, it is beginning to demand transmission work. Other than that it has been small stuff only, the worst being the one bad front wheel bearing.

My wife loves the way it drives and rides (much more than she liked the '97 Ex), so I've kept it 9 years so far and will probably keep on keeping it. As it turns out, it is the only vehicle I have ever kept even close to this long and this many miles (by over 50% of years and miles over prior cars).

02 is the worst explorer ever made, i would stay away unless you know complete history.

hmmm okay i think ill pass on the trade then

i got lucky with the trucks condition and have had to do zero maintenance work yet since i had it with 155k (seems like previous owner did everything before trading it in)

the only thing that sucks now is that gas is 1.21/L (.26gallons)

02 is the worst explorer ever made, i would stay away unless you know complete history.

Thanks for bursting my bubble! :(

Perhaps, but mine has been okay for 9 years and 113K miles, although it needs some tranny work now.

I've enjoyed mine thoroughly and have owned it for the last 2 1/2 years. Bought an 02' EB with 45k for 8k out the door. Hell of a deal when gas was pushing $4/gallon. This is my 2nd Ex and have enjoyed it(wheel bearings and all) but definitely would warn people from purchasing one with little or no history. They're reliable but repairs happen and when they do they are expensive!!

Back