• Register Today It's free!

Third brake light

Cuco

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn , New York City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
My 96 Ford explore third brake light has been out for a while. Is it worth buying the LEDs third brake light or get the original neon light with the ballast , prefer OEM , but I think it’s discontinued
Please send me link of good deals

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ballast is easy to replace, the bulb is more annoying if it's blown out.

Be sure to check the trailer connector under the rear bumper. If this is dirty/corroded, it can prevent the 3rd brake light from lighting up.

Go with LEDs, if you manage to find a new Ford part it will be very expensive for what it is, while a used one, is probably about at end of life by now.

Here is a link to koda2000's topic, but there are many sources for the LED strip to put in your existing housing, can be found on ebay for $2 set up to run at 12V and you just cut it to length after each group of 3 LEDs (or however it is set up).

Another option today is using a long, thin COB style panel which can achieve more output (without extensive fabrication) and a more evenly lit area instead of individual LEDs... not that individual LEDs are bad, it's just whichever you prefer.

'97 third brake light conversion to LED

Dorman sells a drop in LED replacement for the neon bulb. IMO, I would go with that if you couldn't find an original neon one. (Although I don't think the Dorman unit is as bright as the original).

The ballast is easy to replace, the bulb is more annoying if it's blown out.

Be sure to check the trailer connector under the rear bumper. If this is dirty/corroded, it can prevent the 3rd brake light from lighting up.
hey I know this is an older thread but i too woul to get my high mount brake light working again on my 95 ford explorer XLT. I have looked everywhere to find a new ballast but the only place i managed to find them is on ebay showing a guy selling a light and ballast for a super high price. is there a way to find a new ballast? im pretty sure bulb is good as they say the ballast always goes out before the bulb does

Back