• Register Today It's free!

Third row seat

Stew

Reaction score
City, State
Pocatello, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I've visited, but we just picked up a new '02 XLT and I've been checking it out. I just noticed that you can remove the bottom cushion of the third row seat. Ford even made a couple of very accessible releases under the front edge to unhook it so it can be removed. Any idea why they did this? I noticed the floor is recessed under the seat, but the padding fits perfectly in this recess. I also tested the seat to see if it folded down flat w/ the cushion removed, but no luck. Just one of those things that makes me wonder why... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its ford... thats why! =P

Anyone know how much room you get with that 3rd row seat?

Bad thing is I got the new 02 without the third row seat, anybody know where can I find aftermarket 3rd rows?

Bad not having 3rd row? Why? Do you often carry more than 5 people? When my mom went shopping for her new 02 she absolutely did not want the 3rd row, and it was a challenge to find the truck package she wanted without it! I'd say about 85% of the 02's we looked at had it. In the end she did find what she wanted but it was a couple hundred miles away. However, the nice flat storage area is worth it!

I was wondering about this also. I'm getting an 02' Mounty and don't want the 3rd row seat but they come standard so....How do I remove the 3rd seat completey as the Explorer has an option for the 3rd row or not.

Also Explorers with the 3rd row option have that recessed area for the 3rd row seat, right? What are Explorer cargo areas like w/o the 3rd row seat option? Is it still recessed or flat?

On the new ones, the cargo area is basically just like the 95-01's. The rear seats fold down, not quite flat, and their headrests are pretty much up against the front two seats. Once you are behind the rear seat the cargo area is perfectly flat. On the new 02's without the 3rd row, this flat floor is divided into forward and rearward panels that lift up. One of them has maybe 6" of depth and the other maybe 10" I think. It's not much but if you have small valuable or delicate items you can put them in here. At least they give you the option to do something with the unused spaces in the vehicle. Im sure there must be a pic or two of this on the Ford site somewhere.

Jason

Originally posted by JasonF
Bad not having 3rd row? Why? Do you often carry more than 5 people? When my mom went shopping for her new 02 she absolutely did not want the 3rd row, and it was a challenge to find the truck package she wanted without it! I'd say about 85% of the 02's we looked at had it. In the end she did find what she wanted but it was a couple hundred miles away. However, the nice flat storage area is worth it!

Same with my mom's '02. She looked everywhere to find one without a 3rd row. There were only 6 Limiteds in So Cal w/o the 3rd row, and only one (obviously the one she bought) even came close to the color and options she wanted.

--Sean

so you can basically unbolt the 3rd row from the Mounty's, if that how you get it out, and the floor will be flat or would I have to get those covers like the ones without the 3rd row have.

My neighbor has an 02' Explorer 2wd with the 4.6 XLT loaded, and he also said it was hard as hell trying to find the one he wanted, along with just trying to find one without the 3rd row.

Back