This battery light voltmeter still hasn't corrected itself PLEASE HELP???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This battery light voltmeter still hasn't corrected itself PLEASE HELP????

93explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast
Year, Model & Trim Level
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD
Despite replacing both positive/negative cables (Napa Auto), and 2 different batteries/alternators:rolleyes:. This silly battery light still lights up, and the voltmeter is nearing "8"!!!! What gives?????? Is it the starter solenoid????? Something electrical is becoming a severe nusiance!!!!!!!! Eventually the engine seems as though it wants to quit:mad:. Also, if I jump start it, the voltmeter guage returns to the middle and read normal. Once I remove the jumper cables from the battery, the voltmeter begins to drop down to "8" or thereabouts? I am also thinking, that maybe its the starter solenoid connection (on the starter). Would getting another starter be sufficient? The solenoids are expensive. I read somewhere on the forum (archives) that there is a voltage sensor fuse and or something similar, that maybe in the distribution box? I have all of my wiring connected. The red one to the back of the alternator, the 2 clip is on the top of the alternator, and so forth? Would the solenoid on the fender be causing this resistance? It starts up each and everytime, but, something is going on:rolleyes:?? Even my fuel guage is acting strange, whereas it won't even move from the "E" marker, despite the fact that I have at least 1/2 tank of gas? Is the the alternator harness???? Again, I never get any clicking sounds, just a clean robust start:D, but with a battery light:(, and a voltmeter that reads in the "8" area, and or slightly lower. Thanks in advance guys!! I really need some Veteran Explorer intervention:thumbsup:!

check fuse #16 15Amp in the power distribution box (under hood) and the 2 Gray fusible links at the starter relay.

my diagram shows the RED battery cable going to the starter solenoid

3269105854_b567cdfe16_o.jpg

Thanks! Ijust picked up a new starter today and another alternator, in addition to a new ilder pulley and new tensioner/tensioner pulley. I also have 2 extra alternator wire harnesses. Thanks again! :thumbsup::)
check fuse #16 15Amp in the power distribution box (under hood) and the 2 Gray fusible links at the starter relay.

my diagram shows the RED battery cable going to the starter solenoid

3269105854_b567cdfe16_o.jpg

Back