• Register Today It's free!

this convert ever done?

orion1998_1

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 mounty
gen 2 dash to a gen 1? if so any details or write up?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the gen 2 speedo is electric and gen one is mechanical.

oh, guesss not then thanks!

Asp84 was in the process of doing this swap... but decided against it. If anyone could have done it it would have been him too. I think the heater box deal was a huge problem. Among a lot of other things. :p

it would probaby be alot easier if you were doing a 96x 5.0 swap into a first gen along with the dash conversion.

ive always wanted to do the dash conversion in my first gen

A popular conversion is a Mustang dash into a Ex or Ranger :)

My '94 has a cable driven speedometer but on the speed sensor is also a signal wire. I hooked my digital speedometer up to that and it reads fine, don't see why a second gen speedometer wouldn't be the same.

This swap was done in a ranger i beleive, I don't remember where I saw it though. It may have been on here or another site I don't remember.

the Gen II has ALOT more vacuum controls and electronics then a Gen I I believe.
Also the dash wont fit the doors very well :)
Anything is possible with enough time and $$$

just take the first gen dash, a buncha fiberglass and whip something up thats totally you/unique. then take it to a shop to get it re-upholstered.

Mold a screen into it sheet. it probably be cheaper to do it that way. you could rig up some second gen Diggi controls too prolly.

dont forget about the airbags = YIKES

air bags hah. everyone loves a punch in the face to remind them they just got in an accident hah

Don't mention the door panels not meshing. I am going to keep my 93 door panels from my 93 Limited. Mine will work, because I am swapping everything. Basically I'm fixing a 99 by swapping a 93 body onto it, from the 2nd body bolt, and back. Give me another month.
Don

your doing a gen1 to gen 2? any pics of mustang to explorer?

If you were to install a 2nd gen dash in yoru first gen explorer you could just install the 2nd gen door panels while your at it. Ford changed nothing on the door skins so the panels from 1991-2001 are interchangeable.

Thanks Brian, are you sure that the panels will attach the same? That would seem unlikely the way Ford changes stuff. Are you sure that there is an interference problem with the later dash, and the early panels?

I just found two more wheels from a 2000 Limited, and I also got another left rear door panel. My first one was spilled on by deck cleaner. I could get the front door panels, or the three to make a set. Both my 93, my 99, and the 2000 are Limiteds and have the memory seat switch.

I would much rather keep my 93 door panels, because the left and right window switch panels interchange. I will install a second master switch panel in the right door panel. That will give me control of the four windows and mirrors from the right seat. I will also likely be able to add a rocker switch in place of the window on/off button. I will have a right side turn signal switch.
Don

orion1998_1, sorry I don't have any knowledge of the Mustang dash stuff. The ist and 2nd gen. dashes mount differently I believe. I'm not positive, but in my case it won't matter, because I am changing the firewall also.
Don

The panels are the same as I have swapped them around for shiats and giggles :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to know. I will take some measurements to see how close the 99 dash will be to my 93 door panels. If there is a small interference, I will make it work. The identical size of window switch panels is nice on the 1st gen. I already had a spare, and wiring the second set on the right will be convenient.
Don

Back