This Explorer needs some exploring :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This Explorer needs some exploring :(

ExploderBby

Reaction score
City, State
Spotsyltucky, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT AWD 5.0
Okay, So I had notice some popping when i turned my wheel sharply ( backing in and out of like parking spaces) Well i recently got it inspected and the dude informed me he was "passing" it but it needed a lower ball joint. No biggie i went out and bought the part, needless to say i still have replaced it :( I know I know shame on me. Ive felt a slight vibration when driving, and the whole popping gig is still going on. It sounds like it doesn't want to turn, aghhhh. A few days ago i put 31's on her and it weirdly got better. Also i think it may be an axle ?? Hmmmm please give me some helpful hints. Thanks peopleeeeessss.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

blahhhh

well thanks for the input. geez, oh so helpful guys ;) But any who i got under there and come to find out one of my sway bar mounts was completely missing && my rear shocks are toasted. So I'll go from there && see what the outcome is.

How's the front driveshaft?

Okay, i guess. I did my repairs. granted i still have to do the balljoint but the ride is alot better, im no longer feeling like my truck is going to topple over. But like i said i still have some tinkering to do so ill get back to this post later with my findings.

Since you went to larger tires it changes the angle on the ball joint. If the mechanic said it was basically shot I would not drive on it too long. When they break you dont get any warning. A whole lot of bad stuff and very broken front end is the minimum damage assuming you dont crash. Its not worth risking yourself over a little labor and $15 part.

If your balljoints need to be done, dont put it off. I had one let go on my 92 Thunderchicken. its not an experence i recomend. I got lucky.

Since you went to larger tires it changes the angle on the ball joint.
I don't see how going to a tire little taller would change the angle on the lower ball joint at all. The only way I see the angle changing is from changing the the height on the lower control arms. This is done by turning the Torsion bars.

The castor/camber will change on the upper control arms and will change the angle on the upper ball joints, but not the lower ball joints.

I recommend Moog or any brand of balljoint that is greaseable. It adds life to them over the sealed type which have a habit of not staying that way for long. When my balljoints started to go I got this rubbing noise over bumps and the alignment started to get worse. Mine never popped which sounds rather severe, could mean there is a lot of binding.

Also, that knocking/popping might be the sway bar hitting something since it's disconnected on one side. that's a cheap and easy fit that requires no special tools. Just some elbow grease.

Back