• Register Today It's free!

this is "Exhausting"

Explorer Junky

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4 dr 5.0
I have a quandry. I am soon to do an engine rebuild for my 5.0 AWD 97 EX. I WILL be adding TMH's! Magnaflow cats. I spoke to a magnaflow tech who said that they found that a one in two out muffler is actually better than a two in two out, or in other words, an actual true dual system. Any opinions on this? This could save me some bucks on another muffler. Something about one less set of chambers for the exhaust to get pushed through? Let me know what you guy, and girls think!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually on a 5.0 Explorer or Mountaineer you want a dual in single out muffler.

Actually on a 5.0 Explorer or Mountaineer you want a dual in single out muffler.

Please xplain you preference to the single out. I currently have a true dual with glass packs out both corners. They mad a collecter from the OEM flange that has 2 straights off of it into each pack then out the corners. Sounds GREAT! Just asking

You need back some back pressure to help with torque. A dual in dual out doesn't allow enough. A dual exit muffler also reqiures more room and just doesn't look good in my opinion.

I suggest going with a dual 2-1/4" in single 3" out muffler.

You need back some back pressure to help with torque. A dual in dual out doesn't allow enough. A dual exit muffler also reqiures more room and just doesn't look good in my opinion.

I suggest going with a dual 2-1/4" in single 3" out muffler.

well as far as torque, I think the THM's will help with that! as far as looks.. its under the truck anyhow! I will only see it when I go under to do work. You build some back pressure going from 2 into 1 any how. Then with all that flow into one muffler through the Delta flow you get a little more. I guess I will just have to see by the seat of my pants. If you are talking back pressure, I am already doing better than true dual by going to one in 2 out! I have 2 glass packs now, so IMO a flowmaster 1 in 2 out has more back pressure, correct?

Magnaflow makes a Y-pipe that allows you to put a single in single out muffler on. You can get them in many different sizes. That's what I had on mine before I went to duel exhaust.

Magnaflow makes a Y-pipe that allows you to put a single in single out muffler on. You can get them in many different sizes. That's what I had on mine before I went to duel exhaust.

I have a local redneck that does all this dirt cheap! He made the custom flange and put the glass packs on, tailed it all the way out both corners for $225. He even ceramic coated it for free! Came with a 1 Year warranty on parts and labor. I think it lasted for 2.5 years before I had it redone.

Back