Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
June 04, 2008 Update: Billet Grille

Okay, for a while now I've been looking into what can I do for performance and other gains that won't kill off the pocketbook, and will let me keep my Explorer as my Daily Driver.

Sorry for all the links, but this is partly to keep everything I'm interested in in one place. I would bookmark it, but I change computers every 2-3 months so it's not worth the hassle. Plus I believe there may be someone out there who needs the same thing I do.
Intake:
-KKM Cold Air Intake w/ Cone filter (not sure what brand)
-BBK Throttle Body
-I'd like to find a wider TB. I've also considered having someone port/polish my current TB and Intake Manifold. I found a guy that can do it. Update:I've contacted the guy to port/polish my intake. Just waiting on a reply.
-5.0L MAF. All ready installed.

Exhaust:
-Hedman Headers I'm not an expert or anything, but I believe these headers will fit my Explorer.
-High Flow Cat. I'm not sure if I'll install this, or weld in a straight pipe. I need to plan the rest of my exhaust system first.
-Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler. I currently have one installed, but it is a 2 inch inlet and 2 inch outlet. I'd like to run 2.5" tubing the entire way but I'm not sure if this will help or not. I think if I run the headers I should.

Engine:
-High output Alternator
-Oil cooler
-Second oil filter
-Under/Over drive pulleys. I'll have to research to make sure I can install this. I also need to look into which type/kind I need and where it'll benefit most.
-Electric radiator fan. I do not go offroad, this is a strictly street vehicle, so I feel that this will add benefit as well.

Suspension:
-New shocks all around
-New/newer rear leaf springs with 3" lowering block
-Front lowering springs . This will give me 2" of lowering in the front, and 3 inches in the back, so it should be pretty level. Down the road I'll install beams when I have the time/money. But mostly the time.

Update: I realized I didn't post up any pictures.

This is my Explorer Now:
ipwiyw.jpg

This is a crude photoshop version of it being White. I'm painting it a Pearl White sometime this Summer:
217w9c.jpg

Update: June 04, 2008
My billet grille arrived yesterday, perfect size and shape except the mounting tabs on the grille didn't match to my Explorer. I'm not sure why, perhaps it was meant for a ranger or broncoii, not to sure. But I decided I could make it work, and it was pretty simple. I just went to the store, got some good nuts/bolts/washers, drilled a couple holes which were about 2 inches above the areas where the stock grilles "clip" into. All in all, it was about 5 minutes worth of work, hardest part was finding the ratchet to tighten it. So.... what do you think?!?!?!?
Before:
fz0t52.jpg

After:
dn0qp0.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lowering is HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

And the kkm is a rip
just buy a maf to filter adapter off ebay for 10$ and a cone filter 25-55$ depending on brand

Alot of people on here have had problems with breakage on the headmans.

And while your waiting to buy the throttle body you could do the throttle bar mod.
I think it helps

lowering is HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

And the kkm is a rip
just buy a maf to filter adapter off ebay for 10$ and a cone filter 25-55$ depending on brand

Alot of people on here have had problems with breakage on the headmans.

And while your waiting to buy the throttle body you could do the throttle bar mod.
I think it helps

breakage? like leaks? i have a maf adapter all ready, i'm just really looking for a smooth tube that's shiny.

i'm lowering to give it a sleeker profile, and i'm also adding in rims/tires later on, so it'll look fuller in the wheel wells.

quick update, was doing some searching on jcwhitney, came across these

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...1993+200729949+600001752/c-10101#BVQAWidgetID

looks like pretty good grade, but at the bottom of the page it lists two different parts. the only difference i can tell is that one is ceramic coated (which i'm guessing keeps underhood temps down) and the others are not. how big of a difference is this? any other input or header links appreciated. i will be doing headers hopefully within 2 months or so. thanks.

^^
That's what I've got with out the coating. I've had them for 3 years and no problems so far. I did have to "caress" it to get everything to line up with no leaks at the flanges, but it's all good now. I have no idea if they helped with power or not. But, I had sawed through my stock ones when pulling the engine. So I needed a cheap replacement.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it does come with an extra O2 sensor hole that I had to have plugged at a welding shop. Maybe your 93 needs that hole? IDK anyway, it wasn't a big deal, it only cost $1 or so, but I thought I'd mention it.

^^
That's what I've got with out the coating. I've had them for 3 years and no problems so far. I did have to "caress" it to get everything to line up with no leaks at the flanges, but it's all good now. I have no idea if they helped with power or not. But, I had sawed through my stock ones when pulling the engine. So I needed a cheap replacement.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it does come with an extra O2 sensor hole that I had to have plugged at a welding shop. Maybe your 93 needs that hole? IDK anyway, it wasn't a big deal, it only cost $1 or so, but I thought I'd mention it.

good deal. i like to hear tht someone else has it installed succesfully. yes, i've read that 93-94 explorers have an extra sensor then the 91-92, but even if i don't need it i'm apt enough at welding to plug it. thanks for posting, i really appreciate it.

you say you can't tell a difference in power but did you notice any mileage difference?

Little X, I have another question concerning your cardomain site, but in order to keep it out of this thread, would you email me? it's going to be quite lengthy. berkinstocks87@yahoo.com

thanks

Says you:p:

I think you ought to lower it and stuff a 5.0 in there

AND YOU THINK THIS HASN'T CROSSED MY MIND!!!! lol

trust me, i've looked into all types of engines and sizes. if gas prices start going down i'll put in a 5.0L v8 out of a second generation. and if they keep going up, i've looked into installing a small turbo diesel engine, and creating biodiesel in my garage :)

time will tell

Little X, gotcha. Thanks though. Boring is something I've thought of, but I'm still considering whether to build up my stock setup or put in a SOHC or V8. I think by restoring and rebuilding my current setup, I can save headaches down the road. I knwo a lot all ready about my Explorer as a whole, and changing anything will only make me more confused.

Also, do you think I shoudl change my injectors? To my knowledge they're original, and I'm not sure if injectors go bad or not. I run fuel injector cleaner through once a month and use only Shell gasoline.

Little X, What kinda injectors did you purchase? Stock replacements or aftermarket

I don't think they make the injectors that I have anymore, I haven't been able to find them online for a while. They are Bosch "fine atomization" tip 19lb injectors. They are supposed to spray a much finer mist then the regular Bosch injectors: which should lead to a more complete fuel combustion.

I was just reading a thread about those.
Did you notice and power difference after installing those?

breakage? like leaks? i have a maf adapter all ready, i'm just really looking for a smooth tube that's shiny.

i'm lowering to give it a sleeker profile, and i'm also adding in rims/tires later on, so it'll look fuller in the wheel wells.

thats what im saying. the kkm doesnt have a tube just the adapter and a cone filter. and they still cal it an "intake". :thumbdwn:

what you want is the IFAB intake it has a nice shiny tube and blue silicone couplers and its only 140$ last time i checked.

and i was just kidding about the heresy i like lowered too.

and yes by breakage i mean cracks and leaks. which suprised me cause hedman is such a big name.

quick update, was doing some searching on jcwhitney, came across these

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...1993+200729949+600001752/c-10101#BVQAWidgetID

looks like pretty good grade, but at the bottom of the page it lists two different parts. the only difference i can tell is that one is ceramic coated (which i'm guessing keeps underhood temps down) and the others are not. how big of a difference is this? any other input or header links appreciated. i will be doing headers hopefully within 2 months or so. thanks.

yeah im thinkin about those pacesetters too. people say you get what you pay for but i cant see them rusting out if theyre ceramicoated.

thats what im saying. the kkm doesnt have a tube just the adapter and a cone filter. and they still cal it an "intake". :thumbdwn:

what you want is the IFAB intake it has a nice shiny tube and blue silicone couplers and its only 140$ last time i checked.

and i was just kidding about the heresy i like lowered too.

and yes by breakage i mean cracks and leaks. which suprised me cause hedman is such a big name.

Yea I have the hedmans:thumbdwn: on my truck and they leaked like hell until I took them to a machine shop and had the flange(where it bolts to the head) machined down becuase the welds interfere with the seal and then they warp easily which makes it worse. Also I had to reweld the crossover pipe because it cracked where the two tubes join together. Alot of people say the pacesetters are better quality then the hedmans but not near as good as JBA of course.

Yea I have the hedmans:thumbdwn: on my truck and they leaked like hell until I took them to a machine shop and had the flange(where it bolts to the head) machined down becuase the welds interfere with the seal and then they warp easily which makes it worse. Also I had to reweld the crossover pipe because it cracked where the two tubes join together. Alot of people say the pacesetters are better quality then the hedmans but not near as good as JBA of course.

woah woah woah. Are you saying the flange to pipe welds weren't even ground down from the factory?!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

woah woah woah. Are you saying the flange to pipe welds weren't even ground down from the factory?!?

Nope they werent. I wish I had some pictures to show you. I was told by other members with the same headers to take them to a machine shop and have the flange welds machined down. Saved me from buying another set of headers.

Back