this is my fourth Ford and my last | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

this is my fourth Ford and my last

csj

Reaction score
City, State
los angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 sport 4 x 4
I don't know, maybe I have an addiction, I keep repeating a behavior I know will cause me pain, I keep buying Ford vehicles.
For the last 12 years I've owned 4 different Fords, right now an 01' Sport 4x4, presently in the local Ford dealer with a bad cam chain tensioner. This is my fourth Ford four wheeler.
I already knew Fords quality was not too good, I've always had to deal with a variety of problems on all of them. Hell, many of you are in the same boat, just read through the posts, it's one problem after another, and not necessarily on an older model that's been ran hard.
I know about "Owner Notification Program 00M12", after I brought my truck in, the dealer confirmed exactly what was wrong, they're making me pay $854 plus tax to fix it. I've had several long (one hour +) conversations with Fords "Customer Relations Center", what a joke, Ford says my trucks VIN isn't part of the program, and they're not paying. One odd part is I had a guy at the CRC yesterday tell me Ford was going to cover it, then when I call the local dealer today, they say Ford told them the reverse. Today Ford is saying they're not paying, and they have no record af one of their staff saying anything else.
I think it's all a scam, it's a sort of fraud similiar to what a lot of the insurance companies do. Just say no over and over to a legitimate complaint about a known problem to a person and eventually they'll just give up.
I can't do it myself, I think it's a little much for me, besides, I'm working 1 1/2 jobs already. My wife is Japanese and doesn't undersatnd why I insist on buying American. She won't even consider an American built car.
I'm going to complain long and loud to all the agencies I can find, I owe it to my fellow consumers to try to warn them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, -Craig

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How has the rest of the truck been?

We know the SOHC is a piece, just search the threads here about the problems they have.

Try another dealer....if you havent already

not to be a complete jerk to a newbie, but.... GROW UP! all cars have problems! im a mechanic... we work on a lot more Hondas and Toyota than anything else, but i personally find it easier to work on American vehciles, they are bigger and safer....

Some random thoughts....

My sister has a Toyota with under 60K on it. It has been at the dealer's 3-4 times now, for a leaking distributor seal. She says it has been nothing but trouble since she bought it (new). My aunt has a Buick, also with low mileage. Every time I get in it, something else has broken (fan motor, speedometer, etc.) So it's not just Fords that break.

Something that irks me though, is that cars have been built for close to 100 years, now. But the engineers still design stuff like those cam tensioners, and guides made out of plastic??? Come on now... after this much time, a car should be the most dependable machine on this planet. Can anyone say, "Planned Obsolesence"?

OK, I'm getting down from the soapbox now.:frustrate :shoot:

You can find something wrong with every make. They all have their problems. I know a friend who bought a new pontiac and the tranny had to be replaced after 4,000 miles.

You can search around here for many problems people have, but you can also find people who are at 200,000 miles and have never had a problem.

Keep the faith:)

i love my ford
still running strong after 125,000 miles

sure i have had to replace a few things

but show me something you EVERDAY, for 11 years, that will operate at 100% efficenticy. its nearly impossible

I think it is sometimes just the luck of the draw. I bought a new Dodge conversion van many years ago. One week later the paint started peeling off, the oil sender quit working, the speedomoter cable jammed up, and the alternator went bad. Dodge would not touch some of it because it went 'beyond its' warranty...or it's some conversion companies fault." I had a 81 Toyota celica that I had with 160,000 miles on it...and it had NEVER been in the shop. It was all original. It worked perfectly until I sunk it in our lake when launching our boat!!!!! I towed this 15 foot ski boat with that little celica for 4 years! I think it is just the luck of the draw.
Ken

I have a nissan sentra with 225000 miles oil changed maybe three times,still on the same clutch and getting near 40 to the gallon.I just changed the orginal fuel filter 2000 miles ago:eek:

I love my Explorer. The 5R55E is an awesome transmission! It's so smooth and firm, and the 5 gears are nice. My Taurus on the other hand is another story...it's becoming a pain in the neck. The AX4N (AOD descendant) is a piece. The transmission works but it's so dang rough from 1-2. The X is smooth as glass. I love the Tauri's gas mileage and its handling, but the X is so much better built. Still wouldn't trade either for another car though. :D

My '95 XLT has been nothing but wonderful. It only has around 61,200 miles which isn't alot compared to some, but, I've only had a couple problems. One of them cost my mom about $350. There were some other problems but it hasn't had much money put into it. Still runs great and shifts smoothly. Sorry to hear about your troubles but you should know that not all vehicles are perfect and maybe its just your luck that you've had problems with all of them.

Originally posted by csj
I've had several long (one hour +) conversations with Fords "Customer Relations Center", what a joke, Ford says my trucks VIN isn't part of the program, and they're not paying. One odd part is I had a guy at the CRC yesterday tell me Ford was going to cover it, then when I call the local dealer today, they say Ford told them the reverse. Today Ford is saying they're not paying, and they have no record af one of their staff saying anything else.

You know how to take care of different answers like this? Tap your own phone line and when you call, ask them if you can record the conversation.......ask their name....and then when you call back and they tell you different....play back the recording for them.....I know of a few people that get what they want just because someone told them something wrong

How's the truck been overall? I guess ok, after I fixed the rattle under the dash, and after I took apart and fixed the rattles and squeaks in the console, and after I fixed the sagging rear end. I have to laugh, this 01 sport has some of the exact same problems as my 95' x sport "expedition" 4x4; rattling seat belt mechanism, power seat that rocks back and forth, etc. It's like Ford isn't even trying.
Hey, I know, I have no one to blame but myself, I knew the problems and bought another Ford anyway.
As far as "every vehicle has problems", absolutely! But the voices complaining about Ford are growing louder. I think the terrible customer support is going to cause a major shrinking of the company. If you don't believe me, just check out J. D. Powers & Assoc.'s. Ford has a few winners, but overall quality is way behind. Check out Flatratetech.com, it's Ford and Merc. tech's. Read the article; "Can Ford Recover", then tell me what you think. Even this board, "Serious Explorations", has effectively become a anti-Ford website, just read the posts. Even if you had never heard about the roll-over problems, I would think just reading through this board would be enough to discourage most consumers.
And "jimabena74", hey, whatever dude. I'm not sure how old you have to be to not be a "newbie" anymore. I'm 43, I've been driving since I was 16, I've owned 10 different cars, all american, including 3 four wheelers, but my next vehicle probably won't be american.
I don't think the dealer really is the problem, they're no angels, but Ford is the one refusing to pay for an known defect.
I'll be complaining to:
-the dispute settlement board
-Ford CRC themselves, what a joke
-center for auto safety
-better business bureau auto hotline
-motorist assurance program
-national auto dealers association
-national institute for automotive excellence
and any other organization I can find.
The point of this whole post is: boards such as this are a great source of information, but they also could be a force to institute change in the industry. It's still small, but we have a voice, it's a lot more than anything we had 10 years ago.
Just my 2 cents, -Craig

Got my 94' Explorer with 50,000 miles when I was 16. Drove it hard as hell being young, heh. The only things we've had to replace are the evaporator and the bushings. It's my sisters now with about 101,500 miles on it. And it's also still on the original trans with no slipping or harshness. And thats after towing things that it was way beyond it's limits, a 27ft Fountain when my moms Mounty wasn't around. Maybe you got a little unluck, but you don't have any serious problems, most of them are normal on any vehicle.

I know guys that have had 3 times as many problems as you with their Lexus or Honda.

Your car is basically fine, but your dealer sounds like it sucks.

Our dealer is awsome, try to find a Lincoln Mercury Dealer instead of the Ford one you go too, if its like where I live, Lincoln Mercury Dealers give a hell of a lot better service, you should see how many people bring in their Explorers and Expeditions and F-150's to our dealer instead of going to the numerous Ford ones.

it's 6 of one 1/2 a dozen of the other.

My 95 has 120,000 miles on it and runs well, the only "big" thing was the heater core blew up so far.

my old 86 Pontiac 6000 needed an engine before 100,000, the radio had to be fixed, needed CV axles, ball joints, tie rods, a rack, shocks, struts, a radiator, a new power antenna, had to fix the power locks to actually work right, the seal for the glass on both front doors needed to be replaced. and it was driven by a little old lady to 90,000 miles and then I got and chunked that POS at 135,000 miles.

Then there's my mom's 92 Le Sabre, was a pain while it was under warranty, umm it blew a brake line, a master cylender, a water pump, the A/C control head, and sqeaky struts. after the 36,000 mile warranty ran out it's been so trouble free that we hate to get rid of it but it's got 125,000 miles on it and mostly original parts.

Is California a "Verbal Contract" state. You should deny payment and look into that. You may have a case based on how Ford wen't about "lureing you in" and you misunderstanding what they were telling you.

If you did not understand the "contract" they may be liable for the charges, or removing anything they changed. Though I doubt they will do that.

Findlaw is a good start.Go here see if this helps

go by a Chevy or a Dodge. this will solve ALL of your problems. you are correct, it is Ford, and Ford alone. but, if you know this, then why are you on your 4th one?:rolleyes:

Chevy or Dodge!!?! I can name many problems with those too.

it was meant in an extremely sarcastic way. sorry, guess you couldnt see my facial expression when i was typing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my friend's honda has 175,000 miles on it and the only thing he ever replaced is the water pump.

yes, true that every car breaks or is a lemon. but you find more in ford than any other make. thus, ford delivers the term: found dead on road or fix or repair daily.

Back