• Register Today It's free!

This is new...Sync/MFT issue

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
After being frozen for a good 20 minutes, and remaining frozen through shutting the engine off and restarting, I finally got this error message.

I left it alone until I could get home, so I could look for codes with Forscan. Nothing. No codes in the APIM, ACM, or GPS modules. I hit OK on the screen, and it dropped to the Sync black screen/performing required maintenance.

Throughout, the right IPC Nav screen was also frozen. I could cycle through the other screens. The steering wheel 'seek' switch didn't work to change stations. I could go through the menu on the audio screen and change stations manually.

Last time I was at the dealer, with Nav issues, I showed them pics of it taking 20 minutes to calculate the route, among other issues, and the shop foreman told me that with no APIM codes, there was nothing they could do unless they could duplicate it, which of course they couldn't.

Any ideas or suggestions?
IMG_20171014_151810.jpg
\

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The APIM software crashed and stopped running. Pull the battery cable. What version of software are you running? 3.08 or 3.10 or something earlier. Def. a software problem. If you aren't current on software get it updated.

A system reset and reboot works wonders.

Realistically, the APIM is going to crash every once in a while -- they're just no way around it. Even my Taurus APIM with MyFord Touch that behaved relatively well crashed once or twice in that fashion.

As Jason said, keep updated, and you'll be probably as good as you can be.

The APIM software crashed and stopped running. Pull the battery cable. What version of software are you running? 3.08 or 3.10 or something earlier. Def. a software problem. If you aren't current on software get it updated.

It's on 3.08. I asked about updating to 3.10 under the customer satisfaction program, or my extended warranty, and was told that, again, without codes, Ford wouldn't pay for it.

I can handle periodic crashes, and I've done a couple of resets, and a couple of battery cable pulls. I guess I'll have to do it every time it starts to act up, which is just beyond annoying.

A while ago, someone crafted a MFT reboot file.

http://outofmytouch.com/reboot.html

I used it, and kept the drive in my Taurus. Worked well for when I was suspect of the APIM.

It's on 3.08. I asked about updating to 3.10 under the customer satisfaction program, or my extended warranty, and was told that, again, without codes, Ford wouldn't pay for it.

I can handle periodic crashes, and I've done a couple of resets, and a couple of battery cable pulls. I guess I'll have to do it every time it starts to act up, which is just beyond annoying.

Time to go to a different dealer. Your software is crashing...it isn't going to register a DTC. Your dealer obviously is clueless when it comes to MFT. While it is realistic that the system will reboot once in a great while, seeing the Windows CE application error message is NOT "normal" at all.

It's windows.. there's the problem right there ;)

Back