• Register Today It's free!

This SeaFoam stuff is AWESOME

jtison

Reaction score
City, State
W Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT/155 Kmiles 4x4
I just ran SeaFoam (as described in many threads here) thru the brake booster vacuum line last week. I wanted to do the TB so that I'd get all the cylinders, but I didn't wanna invest the time in disconnecting the IAC (1st Gen), so I just settled for hitting the rearward cylinders thru the brake booster.

Before I did this, I got -- at very best -- 16.5 MPG, and at worst, 14.9 MPG. I just got a chance to do my first fillup today: 19.0 MPG, with less than 50% highway driving!!

Now that's significant improvement! I'd swear by this stuff. Griping about your mileage? Run down to your mass-market auto parts store and grab a can of this stuff. Price is only $4 - $5. 19 MPG city/hwy? That's almost Japanese ... I'll take it!!

I will go ahead and invest the time in R&R on the IAC so I can get the next SeaFoam treatment through the throttle body. If it works so well on the rears, it's gotta do a super job on all 6 cylinders.

Thanks, forum. That's the best piece of cheap advice I've had in years!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone got a picture of this? I went to the auto part store (Auto Zone) and I ask for this and they look at me like I'm crazy. Is Seafoam the brand name or is it the product? Warning: Might be a stupid question (surely not the first for me).

X~FACTOR said:
Anyone got a picture of this? I went to the auto part store (Auto Zone) and I ask for this and they look at me like I'm crazy. Is Seafoam the brand name or is it the product? Warning: Might be a stupid question (surely not the first for me).

In case you are not kidding, look at http://www.seafoamsales.com/

aldive said:
Before you worry about not using the PB vacuum line, take a loo at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120853&highlight=sea+foam

Your opinion is noted, and given your mileage results as opposed to everyone else's, I guess I have to go with the voice of experience.

I have no idea how much vacuum is developed in that manifold, nor how well-distributed the pressure is through it; but to listen to my poor X trying to run without the brake vacuum line attached, I'd guess there's plenty. It sure sucked the liquid out of the cup d*mn fast! Thanks, Al. I'll still try the TB insertion method, but with less urgency now.

SeaFoam Motor Treatment is just a 16 oz can of fluid, red & white. Advance & Autozone both carry plenty of it. Their "Deep Creep" product appears to be the same thing in an aerosol spray, judging by the smell. I did run some Deep Creep into the TB, but couldn't tell if it really did anything. Now, using the SeaFoam Motor Treatment through the PB vacuum, there was tons of smoke, and I'm tickled pink with the effect on MPG :)

SeaFoam cans are really good for sanding nice evenly round holes in the top of your computer too!
phase20037wj.jpg

Ummm....you don't have to touch the IAC to put SeaFoam through the TB.

If you have "O'Rielly" (sp?) auto stores they carry it as well as lube gard products that you usually have to go to a trans shop for.
MCTOY

Wonder if this stuff can be ran through a diesel??

Yea It says it can be run through diesel... Well I used Sea Foam today and had a bad time. Well first I noticed someone had sucked the stuff through the tube that was connected to the surge canistor so I was going to do that. When I was taking that tube off, the sensor/valve that the other end was connected to BUSTED!!! So I paid a whopping $70 for a new one. Then I tried Spraying the stuff in the TB but that went everywhere but no smoke. Then I tried through another tube that connected to the TB and still no smoke, so f - it!

Running through the TB ensures it gets all the chambers. This IS the way to run the Seafoam. IAC doesn't have to come off. Look under your TB, there's a hose, run the Seafoam through that.

Did the electric fan help with horsepower or mileage?

I heard AutoZone doesn't carry it, where else can I buy it?
Also, how often do I need to treat my X,does it mess up the O2 or other emission parts, and how long did it smoke?

How often do you have to treat your X? Did the treatment affect the emissions?

jlwdmd2006 said:
I heard AutoZone doesn't carry it, where else can I buy it?
Also, how often do I need to treat my X,does it mess up the O2 or other emission parts, and how long did it smoke?

AutoZone in my area stocks it as well as NAPA and Advanced Auto Parts. :ppl on the Sea Foam website ( http://www.seafoamsales.com/ ) for others.

There isn't really a "written in stone" time interval for the treatment. I treat mine several times a year.

I monitor the function of my O2 sensors with my OBD II Scanner ( http://www.autoxray.com/default.htm ) after treatments and have never seen a problem,

The smoke lasts about 10-16 minutes while driving after the treatment.

This stuff has been around for ages. I use it in my motorcycles and small gas engines(lawnmower,tiller ect.)..it does what it says it will do.. and more....and your vehicles will love you for it.. :)

Did you guys put the full can in or just 1/3rd like the can says.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a question. when your talking about the TB (throttle body) is it the same as the air intake? i plan to do this tomorrow hopefully, btw i'm getting 10 mpg!!! ahhh! :eek:

Back