Those of you that lowered your X/Mounty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Those of you that lowered your X/Mounty

oplitic

Reaction score
City, State
Deering, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mounty
Did you guys do any cutting of your inner plastic fenders or bent any metal out of the way? I just did a bit of it today so I'm gonna put the front end back down tomorrow (as long as it's not raining). But, I was wondering if any of you guys did the same things and how lowered you are. I did it all the way (you can see it in my post). Even my fender was rubbing where the inner plastic fender is held on by a screw so I rolled it up a bit so it doesn't rip my tires up. Also on the driver side I cut the bolt sticking down (it holds some part of the brake system, atleast that's what I believe it is) a little so there's enough thread for the nut. Also on each side had to bend in some of the inner metal fender above the tire so it wouldn't hit my tires on both sides.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am a 1st Gen, but I am down 5" front and 6" in back. I BARELY rub the plastic, but over the last 2 years I wore through the plastic in a couple spots. I am going to cut the Fender wells off and re-weld them up about 3".

I am going to do a similar thing in the rear.

Ryan

I am a 1st Gen, but I am down 5" front and 6" in back. I BARELY rub the plastic, but over the last 2 years I wore through the plastic in a couple spots. I am going to cut the Fender wells off and re-weld them up about 3".

I am going to do a similar thing in the rear.

Ryan

So thet were all metal then? Cause I have a plastic fender well, then it's mianly open except for the palces where thigns are bolted. Some of those platforms I needed to bend upwards. I forgot to get pics today, was working. lol

i lowered my 97 x by taking the bolts out of the torsion keys and a 3 inch block in the back. i also cut the bump stop in the back so its about 1/2"-3/4" thick, to give the suspension more room to travel. in the front i was rubbing so i took the plastic inner fenders out and cut the bolt you were talking about and only my left tire was rubbing then. it was rubbing on the metal piece that the plastic inner fender screwed to and it was also rubbing my plastic fender flares so i just took a cut-off wheel and cut out the problem areas and now i don't rub at all.

i lowered my 97 x by taking the bolts out of the torsion keys and a 3 inch block in the back. i also cut the bump stop in the back so its about 1/2"-3/4" thick, to give the suspension more room to travel. in the front i was rubbing so i took the plastic inner fenders out and cut the bolt you were talking about and only my left tire was rubbing then. it was rubbing on the metal piece that the plastic inner fender screwed to and it was also rubbing my plastic fender flares so i just took a cut-off wheel and cut out the problem areas and now i don't rub at all.

Did pretty much the same things. Except I Just bent them up out of the way. Was thinking about cutting them out though. Did you have to roll your fenders up a bit too? Have you had any crap go into the engine bay since taking the plastic inner fenders out?

i didnt have to do anything to my fenders after i cut it a little. i havent really noticed debris or anything under my hood either.

Back