Thoughts Needed on a "Leaker"! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts Needed on a "Leaker"!

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Have a Borg-Warner 44-11 Transfer Case (A4WD Electronic Shift) leaking at the seam between the case halves. (2004 Explorer, 4.0L SOHC, 5R55S)

Can anyone tell me whether it is feasible to remove and re-seal the rear case half in the vehicle, without removal of the entire transfer case?

Thanks for any ideas on this! imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can drain as much of the oil and then try some RTV for now but usually you have to remove the t-case from the vehicle (just plan out a weekend to do it).
Posted via Mobile Device

Inspect the area where the fill and drain plugs are. The rear transfer case half develops cracks at the drain plug.

Inspect the area where the fill and drain plugs are. The rear transfer case half develops cracks at the drain plug.

Thanks for that! I noticed a few drops of fluid along bottom edge of case before leaving on a long trip, case was low about 1/4 qt., topped it, drove 3400 miles, noted fluid coated nearly entire bottom of L.H. side of vehicle; it never showed up as more than a drop or 2 on the garage floor, before or now!

I think the case leaks only when the oil is churning under operation, then all but stops while sitting, sounds stupid, I know. Entire case is bone-dry outside, fill & drain plug bosses completely dry, too, just wetness along about a 2-inch length of parting-line at bottom. The Silicone sealant must be disrupted there, and am in process of yanking the damn thing out to find out what's going on! imp

Getting the Dang Thing Out!

Here I am helpless again! 2004 Expl. 4.0L, got as far as removing that big crossmember beneath the transfer case, and what happens? First bolt breaks off under the head rather than loosen. Managed to get all the others out, but what a hassle! These things appear to be self-threading bolts, have that triangular-look to the threads. Also marking is foreign to me: 100, not 10.9. They ARE 12mm metric.

The vehicle has no rust evident under it, but the nuts in the frame, and these nasty bolts dropped powdered rust out when removing them. Is this a commonly encountered problem on these vehicles?

On the plus side, the crossmember is very well-constructed, very strong. imp

Back