• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts on Black Leather...

vfral1

Reaction score
City, State
Cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 LTD Golden Bronze
...I have never had a car with Black Leather. It looks great, but I have heard that its unbearably hot in summer. True or not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had dark charcoal in my 2004 Taurus, which was virtually black. It's warm, for sure- it's not bad. If you have tinted windows it isn't so bad.

One thing though, you will notice every speck of dirt in a black interior. That's bad for me, you may be more tolerant... :)

If you have tinted windows it isn't so bad.

Makes all the difference in the world. My F-150 has the black leather, but with my windows tinted, even in the hot summer, it's hasn't been bad at all.
I wouldn't be afraid of getting it.

We had Black Leather in our old Black Volvo S60. It wasn't bad at all. Had tint on the rear windows though, and on really hot days we made sure to put the sunshade in.:thumbsup: I would get it again for sure;) Can't beat the look

I had black leather in my '05 F-150 and I have it again in my '11 Explorer. I'm quite happy with it. It's not as hot in the summer as vinyl, but it is warmer than cloth.

We used to have a car with black leather and tinted windows do make a difference. Although, I don't think we are allowed to tint as darkly as other states. It would be hot at first (I wouldn't necessarily want bare skin against the leather when first getting in), but it would cool off quickly with the a/c, and not be a problem.

Will the Cooled Seats in the Limited help owners with black leather? This will be my first experience with black too, and am a little concerned. I just couldn't find a Candy Red, with the options I wanted, in Light Stone leather.

Tinting the windows is not an option for me.

Will the Cooled Seats in the Limited help owners with black leather? This will be my first experience with black too, and am a little concerned. I just couldn't find a Candy Red, with the options I wanted, in Light Stone leather.

Tinting the windows is not an option for me.

You'll have remote start, too, yes? Could you set it for cooled seats and remote start it for a bit before getting in? Otherwise, it would be hot at first, but quickly be comfortable with cooled seats!

I'd try it out for you, but I don't have my new Ex yet and we have lots of snow on the ground right now even if I did. :)

I really think you'll be fine. I went with black leather (mostly b/c I have young children) and live where it gets hot in the summer. I think with a/c and cooled seats, we'll be just fine. Just my $0.02.

It took us a while to find one with a black leather interior because we had tan in my old truck and my 2 year old ruined it and the stone gray had gray doors and they get scuffed so easily that we only wanted black. We love the black interior on the Limited. I don't think you can set the seats to cool when you start the car but it is too new for us to know for sure.

Back