• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts on "MyKey"

Lucille

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT '11
I'm curious if anyone has used this? I'm of two minds about this option. As the parent of an 18 yr old son, at first I thought - Great idea! (not that he'll ever be driving my Ex ;) )
But then, I was wondering if we need to use this option, maybe the kid shouldn't even be driving. As in the case of my son, who has already racked up some points and been in a weather-related accident....sometimes I wish I'd never let him get his license!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thoughts. Once you need it, should they even drive the car?

I'd rather each key save personalized settings for seating and MFT.

Well, as a teenage driver myself, I carry plenty of passengers with me who like loud music and so I set my key to limit the volume to half so people can't blast the volume. Then I blame my parents for that when they ask. So it's useful. =)

I say if the kid can't be responsible for/control his actions, he/she shouldn't be driving. Thing to keep in mind is that driving is a privilege.

Anywho - my kid wouldn't be driving my new X anyways! :D

I like the idea. Even the best kids can have lapses in judgement, especially with friends in the car...I know I did when I was younger, and so the MyKey is just insurance for those moments.

I think it's a good idea. Especially if you buy an Ex for your son OR daughter. This way you can have some control on their momentary lapses in judgement. I lost some good friends in high school due to some speeding accidents where they lost control of their cars. I think it's a great idea.

As a police officer I think its a great idea. Every parent either says or thinks "my kid wouldn't do something stupid like that" BUT, We see so many horrific accidents with "good kids" involved. Everyone is different when they're with parents and with friends, so anything that takes the temptation of seeing what this truck can do, or limit the distraction of a loud radio, I think is a good start.

The other thing to consider is that not every kid gets permission to take their parents vehicles. Whether they're away on vacation, or asleep upstairs, I've seen my share of vehicles out driving around without the owners permission or knowledge...

Back