• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts on staggered wheels?

doney67

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT 4WD
Ive been thinking about this for some time and would like some of your opinions on this I want to run 22" wheels staggerd 22x8.5 front 22x10 in rear any pros and cons? thanks for your input guys!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive been thinking about this for some time and would like some of your opinions on this I want to run 22" wheels staggerd 22x8.5 front 22x10 in rear any pros and cons? thanks for your input guys!:)

That's a really good question. I would really like to see a 2011+ Ex set up like this. I think mileage wise, your mpg will go down, BUT how much depends on your standard width. If your XLT has the standard 18" rims, that rim width is 8.0". If you have the optional 20" rims, the rim width is 8.5". The pcm computer will be adjusted accordingly. Figure a decrease of 1 mpg per 3" of width.

There are people on here who has 22 x 8.5 on all four - their fronts look really good - the rears look too far inside the wheel well.

Mileage would be a con:thumbdwn:
Tirewear would be a downer - Tire rotation wold be as follows: front with front , rear with rear - NOT a 4 tire rotation (front corner to opposite rear corner, rears moved forward):thumbdwn:
Looks would definitely be a pro:thumbsup:

As for oversteer/understeer? IDK. :scratch:

What do you think 8.5 front and 9.5 on rear would be like (versus a 10" for the rear) - harder to find, yes., but would the tires on the 9.5" width look weird or bigger in circumfrence than they would for a 10" rear? I ask because I'm afraid 10" width will make the wheel stick out of the wheel well about a half inch.

What kind/type of rims are you thinking of going with?

but would the tires on the 9.5" width look weird or bigger in circumfrence than they would for a 10" rear? I ask because I'm afraid 10" width will make the wheel stick out of the wheel well about a half inch.

Depends on the offset of the wheel. The width of the wheel really makes no difference in how far the wheel sticks out, the offset of the wheel would be important here.

You could get away with all 4 the same size and still get that "wide" look by getting a larger offset on the real wheels. This would solve your rotation issue, but you'd have to actually remount tires during rotation since you can't just rotate the wheels. You could use spacers, but I would never recommend them, I don't know how many cars we've seen where the spacer has caused broken lugs and/or vibration that has backed the nuts off so far the wheel has come loose.

To be completely honest I think this is a terrible idea. You are putting staggered rims on a CAR that's FWD or primarly FWD. You will induce more understeer, but more importantly you are adding absolutely nothing to the function of the car.

A staggered set up is for high HP RWD cars. I run a staggered set up on my GTO, but I'm putting 400HP to the rear wheels. I do get more understeer and I have no options to rotate the tires since they are directional.

Finally any real car guy will laugh if he sees your truck set up this way. If you want the look then think about using a spacer in the rear to put the tires out a tad, much like increasing the offset on your rims. This will give you the look you want, functionality, and you can rotate the tires on all four corners. If you do this however, I would get longer studs in the rear.

also would it be harder on the transfer case to run staggered wheels with different size
wheels looking at 22x8.5 front and 22x10 rear or my other option would be to run 22x9.5 front and 22x10.5 rear
tires size would be
265/35/22 front
290/30/22 rear

Back