Throttle Body cleaner?

Black Dynomite

Reaction score
City, State
Wellington, New Zealand
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ltd 4.6L
Checked your throttle body lately?

I decided to check my throttle body (remove air intake and push open throttle butterfly) and was unpleasantly surprised to see how much black gunk was in there.
2yzab9h.jpg

2lcnq1c.jpg

So I removed the throttle body and went to work with some clean rags wiping that stuff out. This pic doesnt really show the extent of the buildup, its worse than it looks! Once finished, connected everything back up using a new gasket Fel-Pro 61050. The packaging states for 5.4L Ford trucks 97-98 but Summit had them listed against the 4.6L. It did require a few mm to be trimmed so the holes would align correctly, however I think I probably could have reused the old gasket.
Results
Seemed to idle better and when I took it for a drive, the acceleration hiss/whistle I used to see at certain rpms was gone. :)

Question - Most of the dried stuff on the back of the butterfly wouldnt come off. I didnt use any solvents so as not to strip any factory coating as per Ford recommendation but is there any safe solvent to use?

Note: I am certain much of this buildup can be attributed to the over-oiled K&N filter I bought. I like the FIPK but wish K&N would be a little more sparing on the oil or tighten up the quality control. If you have an oiled air filter, I recommend checking both your throttle body and MAF sensor. Also, check them a few days after you recharge the filter too. And go easy on the oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its engine oil, you could reduce it more by putting in a blow by filter so it captures the oil.

Mine looked like that at 41000 miles after using a regular paper filter since new. I'd say the buildup has more to do with residue from the EGR/PCV systems rather than oil from a filter.

You can use carb cleaner on the throttle body.

Checked your throttle body lately?

I decided to check my throttle body (remove air intake and push open throttle butterfly) and was unpleasantly surprised to see how much black gunk was in there.
2yzab9h.jpg

2lcnq1c.jpg

So I removed the throttle body and went to work with some clean rags wiping that stuff out. This pic doesnt really show the extent of the buildup, its worse than it looks! Once finished, connected everything back up using a new gasket Fel-Pro 61050. The packaging states for 5.4L Ford trucks 97-98 but Summit had them listed against the 4.6L. It did require a few mm to be trimmed so the holes would align correctly, however I think I probably could have reused the old gasket.
Results
Seemed to idle better and when I took it for a drive, the acceleration hiss/whistle I used to see at certain rpms was gone. :)

Question - Most of the dried stuff on the back of the butterfly wouldnt come off. I didnt use any solvents so as not to strip any factory coating as per Ford recommendation but is there any safe solvent to use?

Note: I am certain much of this buildup can be attributed to the over-oiled K&N filter I bought. I like the FIPK but wish K&N would be a little more sparing on the oil or tighten up the quality control. If you have an oiled air filter, I recommend checking both your throttle body and MAF sensor. Also, check them a few days after you recharge the filter too. And go easy on the oil.

Unrelated, anyone know what size socket is needed to remove the coils? Looking at doing the plugs this coming weekend. Also, is the dielectric grease necessary if I'm not changing the coils?

7mm are the bolts for cop.

Thanks waskly, thanks Ronin.

Back