Throttle Body Cleaning questions/concerns... **new question about upper intake** | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Throttle Body Cleaning questions/concerns... **new question about upper intake**

Xplorer82

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer 4.6L
**new question about upper intake** post #18

*********New question post #18***************

hey guys. ok, i am wanting to take my throttle body off and give it a good cleaning (it really needs it), but before i do i have a few questions and concerns.

1 - what is the best thing to use to clean the inside of the throttle body? i have read electrical cleaner(?) or something along those lines. or use some throttle body cleaner? <im guessing that(?) or if you know something different to use let me know please.

2 - while doing a google search i read somewhere that the inside of the throttle body there is a sludge protection substance in there to help "catch" particles and such. The question is What do i use to Re-protect the inside after i have taken off the throttle body and cleaned the inside.

i have read a few threads that have helped me this far i just need the questions above answered really.

so any info will be very appreciated. i am starting to do a few little cheap but efficient "mods" and cleaning a few things (TB and IAC)

i also just did the throttle cable mod/fix (but a different way than others used in the threads), so next on the agenda is cleaning my TB, so any help is appreciated..

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a video how to in the link in my signature. check it out.

On the throttle body plate its self I used carb cleaner. For the IAC and MAF use electrical cleaner and q-tips.

thanks guys..

can anyone answer the #2 question please? what should i use for that sludge protection stuff on the inside of the TB? to re-coat it

ive nvr worried about recoating. just clean it again every time you change/clean your air filter, and it will be fine.

true. thanks again Riley.

now that brings another question out.. (sorry)

i can take off the upper intake manifold connected to the TB and clean that out right??? if so what should i use in there. (<< i will also do a search on that so i dont have to keep bothering you guys, but that question just came up so i figured i'd post it as well and see what comes about it)

thanks again, much appreciated.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with Al. I scored a ported and polished TB off an eBay seller and in the process he got rid of the coating. It's been 3+ years and I haven't seen anything in the way of adverse affects. The TB still looks pretty good actually (recently removed as part of installing a new upper intake).

thanks guys..

can anyone answer the #2 question please? what should i use for that sludge protection stuff on the inside of the TB? to re-coat it

I sprayed a LITTLE bit of chain wax on my throttle body on each side before reinstalling it. The wax gets "gummy" after sitting for 10 mins or so and it definitely will not come off the throttle body unless you want it to. Im sure its not needed but it will keep the throttle body from getting corroded.

true. thanks again Riley.

now that brings another question out.. (sorry)

i can take off the upper intake manifold connected to the TB and clean that out right??? if so what should i use in there. (<< i will also do a search on that so i dont have to keep bothering you guys, but that question just came up so i figured i'd post it as well and see what comes about it)

thanks again, much appreciated.:thumbsup:

I would only do this if you are bored or the engine has a lot of miles on it. It isnt hard or anything but takes a little time. Some people get a torch and burn the carbon out. I would just soak it in gas overnight then spray it with carb or brake cleaner. Maybe get a bunch of funny shaped pipe cleaner type brushes and scrub out the inside.

^If you do that, replace the PVC valve while your at it, its hard to get to unless you have the intake manifold off.

thanks for the replies.

I sprayed a LITTLE bit of chain wax on my throttle body on each side before reinstalling it. The wax gets "gummy" after sitting for 10 mins or so and it definitely will not come off the throttle body unless you want it to. Im sure its not needed but it will keep the throttle body from getting corroded.

I would only do this if you are bored or the engine has a lot of miles on it. It isnt hard or anything but takes a little time. Some people get a torch and burn the carbon out. I would just soak it in gas overnight then spray it with carb or brake cleaner. Maybe get a bunch of funny shaped pipe cleaner type brushes and scrub out the inside.

^If you do that, replace the PVC valve while your at it, its hard to get to unless you have the intake manifold off.

cool thanks. i might try that chain wax just to have something in there. but thanks i will be cleaning the upper intake then since i have 193k+ on it.

and yeah i just changed that PITA about a month ago. i had the valve laying around and finally put it in there (slacker :D). man that was a ***** tho (in a way) deff not a "fun" task.

thanks again guys.

Man-O-Man was that throttle body dirty. the upper intake is just as bad :(. that is the next task along w/the IAC. got the throttle body, MAF and the IAT all cleaned today.. there is a noticeable difference :D.

Awesome. Always love to see pics!

Thats about how mine looked. The engine feels more "alive" after a nice intake cleaning.

wow, thats really dirty, id definately pull the whole intake and clean it all, might wanna run new plugs after too, or at least check them, since there might be some of that oily residue on your plugs.

and yes i agree, the motor really does feel more alive after a well deserved cleaning

haha yeah dirty indeed. i think i am just gonna go to pull-a-part and grab a upper intake mani ($17.00 - $25.00 depending) and clean that one really really good (cause i need the X as it is my daily driver) and just slap the new intake on after it is cleaned.

haha yeah dirty indeed. i think i am just gonna go to pull-a-part and grab a upper intake mani ($17.00 - $25.00 depending) and clean that one really really good (cause i need the X as it is my daily driver) and just slap the new intake on after it is cleaned.

Good plan. Now might be a good time to consider an intake spacer as well. Do some searching, I know there is a thread on here somewhere about it. Adds some hp/mpg by dropping intake temps and increasing air volume.

yeah i figured i'd just go buy one and clean it really good, swap them out, clean my original one really good and sell it for the price i paid for the one from pull-a-part and someone can just swap their old dirty one for a Clean one. makes sense to me (win/win situation).

i will definitely look into that spacer thanks. :D

I have throttle body with TPS for sale and its all clean and ready to go. The shaft has also been cut.

http://216.198.221.184/forums/showthread.php?t=216971&highlight=throttle+body
attachment.php

thanks Trucku, but i didnt need a TB.

Ok, new question.........

can i use RTV to seal the upper intake when i reinstall it or should i just get a gasket/o-rings or whatever?

with that many miles you should judt buy thr upper and lower o ring sets and do em both while you're there. what are they $20? they sell them as a set

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with that many miles you should judt buy thr upper and lower o ring sets and do em both while you're there. what are they $20? they sell them as a set

yeah i called and checked prices cause someone told me they were pretty expensive, but i wasnt quoted much from the 3 different places i called. since they aren't much that is the route i plan on going.

thanks though.:thumbsup:

Back