Throttle Body / Vacuum Leak | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Throttle Body / Vacuum Leak

seannydeez

Reaction score
City, State
Braintree, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
OK, I'm getting to the end of my rope with this car. Got an orange wrench light the other morning when I started the car and trying to drive it ran terrible. Wasn't shifting right, big clunks stopping, etc. Took to a friend who owns a transmission shop and the code was for the throttle body. He reset it and it's worked ok since, but performance seems a little bogged down. He said I may have to replace the whole throttle body assembly which isn't a big deal if that's the case, but after speaking with the Ford guy when I was looking to order it he said often times a vacuum leak is the ultimate issue. So that brings me to my question, how do I know if it's a vacuum leak before I shell out $300 on a new throttle body? I am not familiar with the location of the vacuum lines on the explorer.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

swshawaii

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
Please correct me if I'm wrong, what can go bad on a throttle body?
Unless the housing is damaged, it's just a butterfly and return spring.
Faulty throttle position sensors are fairly common. Any DTC numbers?

<

Explorer_PL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Same question here; I just cleaned my TB, and unless you smash it with a hammer, what can be wrong with it ?

<

seannydeez

Reaction score
City, State
Braintree, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
I agree with you guys, not sure why it's recommended the whole unit be replaced as opposed to the sensor. I haven't seen much on this form but when I googled it, I came across a lot of people with a similar problem, some saying they were on their 3rd throttle body. I don't know the code that came up. I already replaced the throttle body sensor a little over a year ago.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to check the vacuum lines so I can at least rule that out?

<

crazymind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 mountaieer 4.0
Just spray Carb or starter fluid around if the rpm changes there is your vacuum leak.

<