• Register Today It's free!

Throttle Body / Vacuum Leak

seannydeez

Reaction score
City, State
Braintree, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
OK, I'm getting to the end of my rope with this car. Got an orange wrench light the other morning when I started the car and trying to drive it ran terrible. Wasn't shifting right, big clunks stopping, etc. Took to a friend who owns a transmission shop and the code was for the throttle body. He reset it and it's worked ok since, but performance seems a little bogged down. He said I may have to replace the whole throttle body assembly which isn't a big deal if that's the case, but after speaking with the Ford guy when I was looking to order it he said often times a vacuum leak is the ultimate issue. So that brings me to my question, how do I know if it's a vacuum leak before I shell out $300 on a new throttle body? I am not familiar with the location of the vacuum lines on the explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, what can go bad on a throttle body?
Unless the housing is damaged, it's just a butterfly and return spring.
Faulty throttle position sensors are fairly common. Any DTC numbers?

Same question here; I just cleaned my TB, and unless you smash it with a hammer, what can be wrong with it ?

I agree with you guys, not sure why it's recommended the whole unit be replaced as opposed to the sensor. I haven't seen much on this form but when I googled it, I came across a lot of people with a similar problem, some saying they were on their 3rd throttle body. I don't know the code that came up. I already replaced the throttle body sensor a little over a year ago.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to check the vacuum lines so I can at least rule that out?

Just spray Carb or starter fluid around if the rpm changes there is your vacuum leak.

Back