Throttle cable housing broke? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Throttle cable housing broke?

raysum

Reaction score
My throttle has been getting stuck over the past week and today when it did it I pulled the throttle cable broke free from the gas pedal. Luckily I was near a station that could look at. Inside the cable housing had pulled through the firewall....is this possible?

After tying a string on the throttle cable I got her home which was pretty fun!

Anyway, how do I fix it? New throttle cable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen the pedal assembly break and I have seen the throttle cable rust through. I'm not sure exactly where yours broke so it's hard to say what exactly is going on.

Well my gas pedal assemblt is not broken. My throttle cable is what is broken, are it pulled loose and into my firewall. I guess whatever holds my throttle connector broke?

I would imagine that I need a new throttle cable, correct? Or can I just use my old cable and fix whatever held the throttle cable inside my explorer?

Thanks

Sure sounds like it's time for a new throttle cable assembly. They aren't very expensive or difficult to replace. Try www.fastpartsnetwork.com Email Torrie over there to get a price.

Thanks, Rick that is what I thought. One question, is it a difficult job?

I have purchased from Torrie before and I will shoot him an email...

Thanks again

No it's not a difficult job. I can't remember the procedure offhand, but I do remember it didn't take me very long to replace the cable on my '93.

Thanks again. I didn't figure it would be too difficult. I have emailed Torie and looking forward to getting it ordered and fixed!

Back