Throttle cable mod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Throttle cable mod

Some of you might know this already, but it's probably the #1 DIY mod on other Ford truck boards, but it isn't talked about much here. Stock, the gas pedal cable has about 3/4-1 inch of play in it. This means that you have to push down further on the pedal to get response from the motor. By eliminating that slack, you'll get better throttle response. This can be done by folding the excess cable over and zip-tying it to itself, like the pic below.

7134throttle.jpg

Very easy mod, and you can definately tell a difference. Lil tricky to get the zip ty on, but it's worth it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is the first thing i did to my X. did it day after i bought it. was sittin' at a 'stang expert friends house, and he told me about it (for trucks.) after looking at the butterfly on the throttle body with the gas pedal to the floor, it was only 75% open. fixed it with zip ties. i have often mentioned/suggested it here, but no one seems to care (or maybe everyone thinks its a gimmic). so, i have learned, just keep my mouth shut about it. i had a few e-mails saying i was "full of s#$@!" so i just gave up.

Yikes! If you do it that way it looks temporary to me! I wouldnt want to run those zip ties around the spring!

Here's how I did mine:

I used a 3/8" inner diameter piece of aluminum tubing cut to approx 1/2 inch in length (length different for each cable! = amount of slack).

This tube is just large enough to slip over the the end of the cable and spring.

Then I crimped the aluminum tube over the cable in the location shown in the diagram below (link below)

This works better as the factory spring on the cable still works and it will not break if I floor it.....

Dead Link Removed

Oh and I forgot, if you have an automatic you are going to have to use a similar spacer in your kick down cable, and also adjust it.....

It looks temporary, but I put the zip-ties on VERY tight. I did it in a way that the spring can still compress. If the cables come off one day, it'll just go back to the way it was before, in which case I'll use something stronger. But almost all over at the Ranger board have used zip-ties and have had success.

i did the exact same thing with the zipties right after i got my explorer, it works great and i like it a lot better without all the slack.

What years and motors does this work on, I have a 98 with the 5 liter and a automatic..will it work with mine??

Yes it will work. You onlt want to do this if you need it though! Here's what you do:

1. remove intake tube from throttlebody, so you can see the throttle body plate

2. have friend press gas pedal all the way to the floor.

3. Look at the throttle body plate, it should be FULLY open (90 degrees, flat), if it is not open all the way, you have slack.

4. If it is open all the way, you may still want to remove a tiny bit of slack, just to improve the quickness at which it opens. I originally did this because my truck has been converted to a 4.0L and I found the 4.0L throttle cable was a little too long, I had about 1" of slack, I have since installed a new cable (from Ford) and a kick down cable, the new cable only needed a 1/2"of slack removed.......so it varys from truck to truck........

to anyone still following this- check out the Modified Explorations! forum and look under the thread entitled "more cheap thrills...", i tested the throttle cable mod.

hey 410Fortune, does it matter where you put the zip ties? i put mine infront of the springs rather then behind. yes no?

I did this and now when I floor it, it downshifts another gear or two. :bounce:

As long as you remove the slack from the cable I dont think it matters where you take it from.

I personally like to keep the factory spring on the pedal in use, so I drew a diagram showing where I crimped on my spacer.

ok I posted this before, but.. I'll do it again

tb.jpg

is that slack? I was told its not enough to worry about by several people, but since this is a thread about the very thing, I figured I'd ask again since there are a buncha people who have tried it.

Why in the would would ford purposefully have slack in the throttle cable? or is this just wear and tear?

Let me get this! Your pull the excess cable tight, fold over and zip tie it. I will try this weekend and let you know how it goes.(sounds to easy)

you dont HAVE to fold it over. you can pull all of the slack out and use several zip ties as spacers (like i did) or use the little round lead fishing weights (i like this better). they are lead, split down the middle. slip them over the cable, squeeze with pliers, and you're done.

Jamest, never thought of the fishing weight idea! I'm gonna redo mine like that. Now where's my tackle box...

Cool - THANKS

Did it on my lunch break.

How do you know how much slack you have? I just lifted my pedal up and put two zip ties on it. My RPMs looked high when I started it so I thought I went too much, but I think it's just the COLD arse weather.

to check just remove you intake tube and have someone else floor it with the truck off and look at it to see if it opens all the way.

That was my thought. As I said I did it at work in the parking lot. I think people must wonder about me becuase this is a business casual environment and frigg'n 30 degrees out and I'm out looking at stuff and work'n on stuff and I read and see it here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:D WOW this is the first "cheap" mod that is worth doing. I recomend this for anybody!

Back