• Register Today It's free!

Throttle cable Mod

ALYZ1FLR

Reaction score
City, State
MOBILE ALABAMA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie B. 4x4
For those that have done the throttle cable mod on older explorers beware!! You must also adjust your kick down cable at the same time. More power being applied with out out the proper shift down is a good way to slip direct clutches and overdrive band and clutches. The amount of slack taken out of the throttle cable should also be taken in the kick down cable. Overall the throttle cable mod. is useless unless you are not achieving W.O.T. because of slack. My appologies to those who believe this mod. to be an improvement. This mod. could cost you a trans.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Throtle cable MOD

How do i acctually do this mod?

Do a search, its all there, pics and all.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by "kickdown cable"?

I've always thought the cable next to the throttle cable was for the cruise control.

on the first gen. explorers, the cable next to the throttle cable is the "kickdown" cable. this controls transmission downshifts. this is only on explorers equipped with the A4LD tranny.

I only had one cable for some reason...

thats because your tranny is electronically controled, and doesnt have/need a kickdown cable.

Hey guys isn't it possible to just tighten the throtle cable from under the rocker cover in the engine????

Yes

it is but if you are getting wot throttle there is no reason to mess with it. The cable next to the throttle cable under the hood is the cruise control cable. The kick down cable is the one on the firewall.

Re: Yes

Originally posted by ALYZ1FLR
if you are getting wot throttle there is no reason to mess with it
Let me emphasize that.

Take of the air intake tube going to the throttle body. Have someone push the gas pedal to the floor and watch the butterfly valve in the throttle body. If it is already opening all the way, you have no reason to do this mod. It will not help you. It could, instead, hurt your truck by causing the cable to stretch or break because it can't go as far as the pedal can.

WOT?

GUY's What is WOT? i dont think i have much slak in my throtle cable but i will check it?

WOT= Wide Open Throttle. The butterfly in the throttle body should go "wide open" with the accelerator pedal pushed down.
I checked mine a couple months ago and found a little slack. I used a small fishing weight to clamp around the cable and the cable play is perfect....not too much or too little.
Ken

ok great thanks for that!

The cable next to the throttle cable under the hood is the cruise control cable. The kick down cable is the one on the firewall.

This thread is confusing me

Well, which is it? Like I said, I always thought the cable next to the throttle cable was for the cruise control. ??

I own a 2001 camaro and this is a similar mod that I did on that car. Called the "bumpstop" mod where you grind down the stop for the cable so the blade opens more because the blade only opens up to about 95%.

i Have a 99 is it safe to do the mod?

Back