Throttle Position Sensors - How Often to Replace? TPS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Throttle Position Sensors - How Often to Replace? TPS

PotatoExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Carlisle, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd.
Is anyone else replacing Throttle Position Sensors every year or two or is it just me?

Got these P2135 codes this morning - P2135-FF and P2135-P. This is a 2008 Ford Explorer 4.6L with 149k miles.

Looking up past orders:
I replaced in February 2017 on Amazon for a Motorcraft DY1164 (Sold/Shipped by Amazon),
replaced again in March 2018 on RockAuto for Motorcraft DY1164 (Sold/Shipped by RockAuto),
replaced again in January 2021 on Amazon for a Motorcraft DY1164 (Sold/Shipped by Amazon).
I know I replaced the whole Throttle Body sometime in 2016 trying to replace the TPS on the OEM Throttle Body (snapped the bolts holding the TPS to the body. Too much Loctite from the factory. Snapped the extractors trying to extract the broken bolts...) So, replaced the Throttle Body from AutoZone. Came with an older sensor that eventually failed and prompted the February 2017 TPS replacement.

I've inspected all the wires numerous times and nothing seemed bad or out of place. I've peeled back the protective wire bundling to see if the wires underneath were chaffed or damaged and it all looked great. I also don't believe it's the wiring because every time I do replace the TPS, it does eliminate the errors for an extended period of time.

Should I be looking into replacing the pedal this time? The only thing that keeps me from purchasing a pedal is that, again, when I replace the TPS, the errors are eliminated for extended periods of time.

I feel like I'm either having terrible luck with continuously purchasing bad TPS batches or I've got a bigger issue on my hands...

255932324_10165571619290585_5357712849926387926_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, maybe I should change this a bit...

How often do you guys normally change your TPS? I just peeled back and rechecked the wires leading into the TPS and all looked good, so I'm just ordering another sensor.

Do you guys think engine bay heat/temperature can prematurely kill the sensor?

Well my v6 with 167k miles i have never replaced the tps. My parents lincoln navigator with the 5.4 v8 (basically the same as the 4.6) I replaced it once and it got traded with 209k miles on it due to mechanical engine problems. I have heard of people replacing the tps multiple times but one the most recent updated sensor is installed that usually fixes the problems. Btw the sensor I put on the 5.4 was a bwd brand (i think) from advance auto at approx 150k miles.

07 4.6L @130K. Still the original - never changed.

Is anyone else replacing Throttle Position Sensors every year or two or is it just me?

I just bought one at 137k miles chasing issues for very jumpy idle and cruise surging. I have a 2010 4.6 and forpartsgiant spec'd me 6L2Z-9B989-D which is suppose to be the latest revision. This is also known as DY-1049 which is different than yours.

I also had the AC turning itself on and off on it's own which the dealer said was the PCM. Sent it in to a place and they said it all tested fine, so here I am with the TPS.

I should add my wife has a 2009 Escape V6 she drives the snot out of with 240k miles and we have never replaced the TPS

i replaced the tps sensor twice about 5-7 years ago, but after the second time, I untaped the harness and wires that lead up to the tps sensor, separated all the wires and taped each one, and then re-taped the whole harness to add some space between wires. im not sure if there was some cross talk or interference, but since doing that i have not had any tps issues. could be a coincidence and I just got a good sensor, but it might be worth a try? I used Tesa fabric tape, good stuff much better than the sticky mess of regular electrical tape...

i replaced the tps sensor twice about 5-7 years ago, but after the second time, I untaped the harness and wires that lead up to the tps sensor, separated all the wires and taped each one, and then re-taped the whole harness to add some space between wires. im not sure if there was some cross talk or interference, but since doing that i have not had any tps issues. could be a coincidence and I just got a good sensor, but it might be worth a try? I used Tesa fabric tape, good stuff much better than the sticky mess of regular electrical tape...
Thanks for the recommendation. This is the second time I've peeled back the tape off the wires leading off the wire branch that heads up to the TPS. The 4 or so wires (I forget how many wires run into the TPS) that run into the TPS plug are formed together... Like how some electrical cords (RCA cables come to mind) are manufactured to be attached and can be peeled apart.

Right now I do have some fluttering of the RPMs but haven't had any codes since posting this. I especially have some weird RPM fluctuations right when I start the vehicle. Sometimes I'll start driving, come to a full stop, and the RPMs seem to hold high for a second or two too long, then drop down to below 1k RPM where it should be when I'm at a dead stop. I just received the new TPS yesterday and will be putting it on in a week or two.

If I'm still having these weird RPM issues, I'm going to get some of that Tesa fabric tape you're talking about, peel apart those wires to the TPS and wrap them individually. :thumbsup:

UPDATE - So, it's been a little over a week since I've replaced the TPS with another Motorcraft unit from RockAuto.com. The RPM fluttering has been eliminated... again. The vehicle seems to be much better at accelerating and more responsive. I have no idea why, but it seems like my Explorer likes to eat these TPS like candy. I don't know if maybe I'm getting some sort of electrical feedback that slowly deteriorates the TPS?

One thing that seems odd to me is that when I pull/press all 4 of the window switches at the same time, it's enough to put a significant drain on the vehicle while it's running. The RPMs dip a decent amount, almost 200ish RPM, and the headlights/interior lights dim a bit. I wonder if this is an indication of a bad alternator? Can a bad alternator mess up a TPS? Is this a normal operation?

I also think checking the grounds is something to do. Especially since you live in PA where the roads are salted heavily and rust can compromise a ground cable easily. In addition, you might want to consider pulling the alternator and having it bench tested at a parts store. Almost all of them do this for free. Voltage and amperage dips can create many issues, codes etc. I would start with the ground cables first.

Thank you for your recommendations. Not sure if you know off the top of your heads, but any quick reference on where I can check for proper grounding locations? I can dedicate more time to finding them this weekend, but if you know of any areas for me to look at, I'll take a look when I get home from work. Thanks 94Eddie and Bazz270.

Back