• Register Today It's free!

"Thud" when taking off from stop

Josh Kessler

Reaction score
City, State
Swanton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT 4WD
I see this is a common issue "slip bump" with the driveshaft needing a good lube on F-150s but how about the Explorers? I've searched and searched and cannot find other examples with the same symptom as my 2014. It sounds as if the rear caliper is not releasing the brake pad from the rotor but I have proven that is not it. It is getting worse and I sometimes hear it multiple times when accelerating from a stop. I took it to Ford and they came back with, "you need a whole new rear end". Really?!

I asked a series of questions, "What is bad, the ring/pinion? The carrier?" They could not tell me. All they would say is that it is common on Explorers and they'd just replace the entire rear at a cost of $1950.

This is ludicrous to me. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm a backyard mechanic but haven't had time to get into this to check it out. I thought it might save a lot of time if someone has already experienced the same issue. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you aren’t under warranty take it to an independent transmission/driveline shop for an actual diagnosis, and not just the standard dealer lets-throw-money-at-it solution.

Is there a slip yoke in the rear shaft?

I believe there is but I haven't gotten underneath yet. It's been so terribly hot around NW OH that I've not wanted to do anything outside. If there is, I'll grease that first and hope the issue goes away.

Welcome to the Forum Josh.:wave:
There was a TSB issued for the 2011 Explorer that had to do with a hard shift on take off.
2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's

Peter

I think the dealership was trying to pull one over on me. The warranty brochure clearly states 5 year/60,000 mile warranty on Powertrain, with each of the rear components listed. I am under warranty after all!

Back