• Register Today It's free!

thumb drive

Chimmy76

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Tundra
what is the least amount of storage capacity for a thumb drive you can use for the sync ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to aim for the smallest flash drive, I'd say 1KB? But if you meant max, it would depend, some hard drives with 100+ gigs have worked so.

i could not find any details on what size thumb drive to use to do updates and to check to make sure the system has latest updates . thats why i am asking what i should use for mine .

If I'm not mistaken (I haven't actually downloaded it myself yet) the Sync Status Checker Tool is quite small. However, based on the fact that the current update (that the dealer has to do) is taking half a day to install, I'm guessing that the Sync update files could be rather large. I'd just wait until are able to do your first self-installed update, download it to your computer and see how large it is. If you feel the need to install the Status Checker before them maybe you could just borrow a small flash drive from someone.

ok thanks . i dont want to waste my money on one too small . i wish the site or the owners would recommend the capacity of the thumb drive should be or better yet come with the vehicle which i think it should!

SYNC says less than a Gig; mine is 512MB. Routine updates will never come close to that much space. Each time you do an update the memory is overwritten anyway.

I used and old 256mb and it worked fine.

Back