Thumbs up for this '03 Explorer V8! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thumbs up for this '03 Explorer V8!

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
I gotta say... my '03 Explorer V8 really impressed me this past weekend into the early part of this week. I say that because I drove it from New Jersey to Illinois and back with no issues at all on a 97K mile motor. I set the cruise control at 70mph and it just cruised straight through for 14 hours each way (about 1,700 miles total). I averaged approx 420-440 miles for each gas fill-up and averaged 19 miles per gallon. Not bad for a motor that needs a tune-up. I believe that's what the window sticker reads when it was brand new.

Some may think I'm a little crazy for taking a 9 year old truck with almost 100K miles across the country, but I had total confidence that I'd be fine. And I was. Just wanted to share some props for Ford trucks. Grant it, I do have the typical issues (humming rear gear, clicking rear e-brakes and rattling torque converter). But it still runs strong even with all those issues. LOL :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! Glad to hear your truck is treating you well.

Although 100k miles is nothing to me...both of my vehicles have over 200k and I would drive across the country in either if them, perhaps unwisely haha

Excellent ! I think all of us explorer owners have those issues. But sometimes its good to just forget about that turn up the tunes and let her be haha

Bah- at 97k, she's barely broken in- cruise on! :thumbsup:

My 2000 Expedition has 150k on it and I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross country. It's all about maintenance & hows it's been cared for. Heck I drove my old Ford Bronco II with 160k from Las Vegas to Illinois & back again. Not a single issue.

If maintenance is kept up on your 4.6 liter engine can go well over 200k.

Back