• Register Today It's free!

Thump when shifting into Reverse

sumzxr7

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT - Magnetic
Noticed this a couple of times - 98% of the time I always use my parking brake but I didn't for yesterday after some spirited driving - parked on a very very slight incline and when I shifted into reverse it made a thud sound then I tried again and it did it again and it made the same thud....haven't been able to replicate since...not too sure if its the slight incline, and not using the parking brake and some spirited driving that caused this..only happened 2 times and both times under the exact same conditions..maybe its the heat ? from the spirited driving ? don't know...

Its a 2016 FWD XLT. 3.5V6

maybe im paranoid...think there is an issue, as the incline was nothing really..and never had this with my 2013 that had a host of other issues but never any issues with the trans..

has anyone else ever encountered this ?

If you are parked on a slight incline without the parking brake on, the pin to keep the vehicle from moving is holding the vehicle in place. When you shift out of park, the load from the incline is keeping the pin from disengaging smoothly. When it does release, you get a thump. Doesn't take much of an incline to put a load on the pin.

I would say it's normal and doesn't have anything to do with the spirited driving, however, I'm going on the assumption that it's similar to what I've experienced in the past.

Back