Thumping, Trans and Check Engine Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thumping, Trans and Check Engine Light

Weelspin

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
OK.... Check engine light first. Code said it was low vacuum pressure in EGR system. Replaced EGR valve. Engine light still pops on now and again. Usually after about 50-100 miles, sometimes less.
Also, maybe not related, I hear a thumping from the front. Usually I hear it when I stop at a traffic light. And usually after it's warmed up. As a matter of fact, Sometimes it continues even after I shut off the engine for up to 2-3 minutes! The thumping doesn't coorelate with any other symptoms like guages etc. Engines seems to rn fine with no change in RPM or power.
Last, Took a long drive and when I got an hour out, trans light started flashing. Pulled over, checked fluid and noticed it is about a quart overfilled. Can't find drain plug and don't have a pump to get any excess out. Reset light (undid battery for about 5 min) an drove on. Came on again once after about another hour. Reset it again. Drove the rest of the trip (2 hours) with no further issues and the entire next day driving back. Still no flashing trans light after 2 more days. Heat? Pressure? Scooby Doo? Any help would be appreciated...

Pep:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Engine off, keys in hand, I am out in frnt of the vehicle with no one else inside. So.... to answer your question, I don't know. I did have the codes read and at the time, the trans light wasn't blinking. The scanner said it was a "lack of vacuum at egr".... replaced egr valve, still comes on. Anyone else?

Sweet... OK.... what is the DPFE sensor? And where is it?

Sweet... OK.... what is the DPFE sensor? And where is it?

DPFE is also called the EVAP Pressure Sensor. You should also replace the two DPFE hoses if you replace the sensor.

The thumping sound, especially after engine shut-down, could be an overheat condition. This can also explain why the transmission fluid is higher on the dipstick, and a transmission trouble light.

I would take a really close look at the cooling system. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the coolant and thermostat.

The thumping sound, especially after engine shut-down, could be an overheat condition. This can also explain why the transmission fluid is higher on the dipstick, and a transmission trouble light.

I would take a really close look at the cooling system. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the coolant and thermostat.

Excellent first post, and I really like the screen name. :thumbsup:

Back