• Register Today It's free!

Ticking 5.0

ViperPliskin

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Looking for suggestions before I start tearing this motor down...again.

'99 XLT 5.0 motor rebuilt and stuffed in a '98 Ranger SC. All new valve train to match the new cam (Comp 35-512-8). Everything else is new except the crank. Torque Monster headers, 1.6 Ford Racing roller rockers with tall valve covers, intake spacer, cold air intake. 4R70W transmission. The lifters, pushrods, and springs are brand new. Henson tune.

The problem is there is a wicked valve train tick. It sounds exactly like a "normal" lifter tick coming from both sides and you would swear it's across all cylinders. Other than that the engine idles and runs fine.

Oil pressure is good, 40 PSI at idle. During oil prime, there was plenty of oil coming out of all the pushrods. At this point, I KNOW the roller rockers are "adjusted" properly, as I've pulled them all off and readjusted them twice. The roller marks at the top of the valves are dead center across the board. There is no noticeable rocker wear on the valve covers, so I don't think it's an interference issue. The cam has only a .480 lift, so I don't suspect V/P clearance is an issue. The pushrods are all straight as an arrow. I put Mobil 1 in there just to see if it would help...negative. I put 1/2 quart of Rislone in the oil just to see if it would help...nada.

The only other thing I can think of is bad lifters. But I can't understand why brand new lifters would be bad.

Any other thoughts? I sure don't want to go back in there.

Many thanks.

Check the header gaskets. There has been a lengthy discussion about the TM's for Explorer/Mountaineer having issues.

Back