• Register Today It's free!

Ticking after oil change

adam45356

Reaction score
City, State
Piqua,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991,1992 EB's and 94 LTD
well i did a search and noting seemed to describe my sitiation.
about 2 months ago maby less i change my oil and after that my car started to tick but it whent away after it warmed up well just this weekend i changed the oil and filter(not fram) and it still ticks but worce and it never goes totaly away i think its the lifters but was fine before oil change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ticking is somewhat normal for a few seconds after an oil change. If it ticks constantly i dont think it has anything to do with the oil change.

it actualy doesent tick wright after the oil change even if the engine is cool it seems to start once the new oil has flowed through

does it tick all the time? or just when its cold?

couple scenarios with a friend of mine, manifold had a crack and it would tick until the engine heated up and the metal expanded and it would go away.

so does it tick after it heats up?

it stoped ticking onece it warmed up but sence i cheange the oil friday it seems to tick all the time even when i drove it 100 miles

it dosent make any sence to me you whould think clean oil whould be better

Just out of curiosity what oil viscosity are you running? Also given the age of your truck, I would accept you have some valve, lifter, or pushrod wear which is causing the tick.

10w30 and its a 1991 so its understandable but the oil change part dosent make any sence to me

Its possible that it is an exhaust leak, probably a manifold because once it warms up it will go away if its minor enough and now that its getting worse it doesnt go away.

Thats true too. I have seen a few cracked exhaust manifuolds leak until they get warmed up. Good point Redrig.

did you change filter types or oil weight? reason I ask is because it sounds like you have a sticky valve that was aggravated by the oil change. This would also explain why once the oil warms up and is flowing the tick stops. you can try a couple things...oil additive which may help, or switch back to a motorcraft oil filter which has a higher flow rate than fram. motorcraft filter solved the tick on my 94.

well i added lucis im hoping that will help and i did use the ford/motorcraft filter

motorcraft didn't help eh? Be careful with lucas in the oil, that stuff is thick as glue! ...and to much will actually clog and blow your oil filter seal (or worse). Go ahead ask me how I know that one :D :D I'd run some seafoam or other cleaner through the crankcase for 30 min or so..and then change your oil again. Like stated above though, with a '91' you may just have to except the normal wear and tear noises your going to get with an older engine. Good luck, keep us posted.

i ran somthing my dad always has used marvel mystery oil and the taping/ticking is starting to clear and ive only gon about 60 mile i thing my engine i sluged up becase i cut the old fram filter open and it was full of gunk so i am going to try the marvel change my oil in like 500 miles and repeat and hope that does it but i think thats all it is because i thing i stird up some sluge and it clogged the lifter. and the motorcraft filter made a noticeable change in my oil pressure for the good. thank for all the advise and i will see how this works and as for the lucis it didnt help my car i thing it just made the oil thicker and harder to get trough. it works on valve guide leak in my moms 94 towncar but i dont thing i will use it becase my car dosent smoke at all.

Mine ticks, too, but only after warming up. Its definitely a valve tap. I tried a little Marvel Mystery Oil on the crankcase. Will try some more, but I believe its just engine wear. My Ex just turned 180,000 miles.

Bob

my has 103,000 i could understand if its wear but it dint start untill i put pennzoil in

Keep in mind that these engines used softer steel than they should have in the cups on the rocker arms (and the tips of the pushrods as well). This causes wear between the pushrod and the rocker arm over time, and eventually a gap develops between the pushrod and the rocker cup that it is supposed to stay in contact with.

Thus, you'll hear a small *tap* sound each time the pushrod recontacts the rocker arm on its up motion. That is incredibly common for these 4.0's. I don't know what mileage this usually sets in at, but mine had it at 165k, before I rebuilt my top end.

You may not have noticed it before, it may have just become noticeable, it may have not been as pronounced with the dirtier oil, it may be pure coincidence, etc.

If it is rocker tap, you can figure it out but putting a large screwdriver against the head near each cylinder, and holding the side of your head against it. The tapping will be louder near one or more cylinders if it's coming from one of the rockers. If it's not, then the tapping will be about the same "volume" at each cylinder.

i will try that thanks just on more question off the subject any idea how much it cost to have my rocker panal rust fixed becase its geting bad spreding up the dog leg i dont understand why the eddie baures are worse about that but they are becase are 92 eb did it as well. 1 more question can a broken spindal make the 4x4 clunk relly bad and not work until the back wheels spin and thin bamm it locks the front then when you let off the 4x4 seems to unlock again the auto hubs seem ok but my left spindal is loose

my 96 ticks and i think its just the lifters wearing out. I'm switching to 10w-40 and i'll see if that helps. I have the same symptoms too especially after oil changes and in the winter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fawkin tinking

Back