Ticking after oil change | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking after oil change

i live in florida at this time ,just bought this xlt 98 i dont have any ticking should i use a heavy grade like 20w50 due to the heat.?tnx

i live in florida at this time ,just bought this xlt 98 i dont have any ticking should i use a heavy grade like 20w50 due to the heat.?tnx

..... you shouldn't need that heavy of oil in your explorer unless you live on Venus. All you would be doing is starving certain parts of your engine of oil. Look in your owners manual, it gives you the recommendations for oil. FWIW, 5w30 would be just fine for your engine.

my 96 ticks and i think its just the lifters wearing out. I'm switching to 10w-40 and i'll see if that helps. I have the same symptoms too especially after oil changes and in the winter.

DOOOOOONNNNNNNTTTTTTT

you don't need that high of weight of oil.

If you are getting a tick from your engine, that is due to the age of mechanical parts that are subject to wear. Sticky lifters, worn rockers, that kind of stuff.

The only thing you can do with a higher weight of oil is increase measured oil pressure. The problem here is that while you may have "higher pressure" the cause of this is the fact that it is harder to pump oil into the places that need lubricated, this means these places are going to get less oil. Less oil means bad. This means your parts are not being properly lubricated. Sure, it may cure a tick where you have some worn out parts, but at what cost?

Your engine would appreciate it if you visit www.bobistheoilguy.com and learn from the collective knowledge gathered there, then change your engine over to 5w30 or 10w30 like the manufacturer recommends.

Savant is right about the rocker arms they are most likely the cause of your ticking noise and also a good idea to replace the push rods at the same time for not much more money. Elbow

Back