• Register Today It's free!

Ticking and lose of oil

wbandyjr

Reaction score
City, State
Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
I just had a quality care oil change done about 1,300 miles ago..My wife started the truck and it had a loud ticking and also sounded like sand was mixing around.I checked the oil and it was almost to the min line..What does this sound like?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did u check if your were loosing oil under the engine...if it`s dripping ...may be the nut is loose or the filter is not tied enough...ant leak that you can see?...is this the first time that you experience that with you Ex ?

I have not noticed any leaks on the ground were i park.,However when i got my last oil change they had it right at the top of the line.When 3,000 miles had gone i noticed half the oild was gone..I go 3,000 miles in less than 2 months..I recently had a missfire in #4 and had new wires put on and the injectors cleaned.It ran great for a couple weeks now it feels as tho it lost some of it's power again.

Have u notice any blue smoke coming out of the exhaust ?? specialy when slowing down .( compression) , or when you start the engine after it seats for a while...

How many miles are on this X? A small amount of oil consumption is normal with engines with high miles on them.

I havent seen blue smoke it seems to be white to me.When i came home last night when i got out i could smell a odor of gas. It seems to run rich and i get those surges at takeoff.There is 77,000 miles on my truck.My friend heard it last night.His comments were that the oil is blocked or having a hard time getting to the engine.,And the noises were wear on the engine parts.I hope this isn't so because the dealer isn't taking it till Friday.Thanx for the help!

You r right aldiv and I would definitly chek the oil level now until you change the oil Friday...cause if it`s making the noise that you say it`s probably because it`s low in oil right now..

I will check the oil level again.Yesterday it was a little above the min line..The manual says to put in when below that line.,So i havent added any..How much would a shop charge for a compression test? ,And what would that test tell me? Thankyou!

Do the test yourself and save whatever they charge,

It will tell you if you have ring or valve problems.

Good luck.....

I disagree with waiting until the level is at the min line. If your system requires 5 qts, and you need to add 1, that means your are using 80% or your oil capacity for 100% of its needs. It will wear out faster and not get to all the places it needs to as well as 5 qts would. Just my .02

I took it to the dealer Friday and i have it today..They didn't get to hear the noise because he sat inside the truck instead of being in frontof the truck and my wife said it only made the noise for a couple seconds and he heard it for a second and said it sounds like the belt.
They asked me how i knew it was leaking oil..I told them when they did the oil channge 1,300 miles ago it was at the top of the dip stick,And now it is closer to the min line..They say there is nothing wrong..

They're wrong. Something is wrong. Take it to a different mechanic that you trust. Maybe your family or a friend could recommend one in your area. Don't wait to do it either because you may be ruining your engine without knowing it.

I am going to take it to a diffrent place that i hear alot about it takes s few days before they can do the job cuz they are always busy..Any idea how much sway bar and bushings cost?

Most places are geared to only put 4.5 quarts in, the explorer holds 5 quarts, I had to have them add to mine after last oil change.

The swaybar looks easy to replace. Is it?

I am going to replace he front swaybar and put on some supersprings for the back.I remember reading somewere someone had the springs and with the special bar..They had to take the bar off..Is the sway bar just 2 bolts or is there more to it? I need to put bushings on too.I would look under there but it is below 0 right now and for some time to come.Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back