Ticking from engine | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Ticking from engine

orange99exp

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer xlt
Hey this is my first thread I have a 99 5.0 explorer xlt I have been giving myself oil changes since 2004 just recently it began to tick speed increases with more speed So I put some lucas oil additive in with last oil change and now the ticking is louder than ever just wanted some advice before I try anything else thanks for any replies

SoNic67

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
First of all - is the oil pressure gauge flickering at warm idle (stoplights)?
Mine has that ticking because of low idle oil pressure, but it goes away with increasing rpm's. And Shell Rotella 5W40 took care of pressure.

It might be also a spark plug (booth) striking outside, to the block. Check at night time in a dark area to see if there are any lights/sparks under the hood. That is more likely because will not go away with increasing rpm's, it will just get "faster".

gavin

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
can you tell where the tick is coming from?
it's possible it's caused by a crack in the EGR valve.

My truck has had the ticket caused by a crack in the EGR valve since I bought the thing 7-8 years ago.