• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

ticking/knocking only after warm - towards rear?!?

jrobie79

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4.6 VIN "W"
So I've been reading this forum like crazy regarding ticking/tapping/knocking coming from the 4.6...

I have 02 Limited 4.6 with 128k and upon startup there's no noise (sometimes misfire, due to oil in plug wells, gonna change the intake mani and coils soon). Shortly after it warms up - 5 minutes or so there is a constant ticking at idle...I can't really tell if its there upon acceleration as I can't notice it with the window open when I'm driving, but as soon as I slow down and/or idle I hear it again.

If I let the car sit for a few hours, or while I'm at work, it starts up perfectly fine, no noise.

I tried the long screw driver trick - putting it to different parts of the engine and placing my ear over the handle, and didn't really notice anything different from any part of the engine. I had it up on my lift, and it almost sounded like it was coming from the rear - near the tranny, but what the hell would tick back there? and how do I diagnose that?

I dropped the oil pan when I first got it and there was a very little amount of black rubbery stuff - presuming its timing chain guide/tensioner related, but no chunks, not really any metallic shimmer in the oil, so I guess it could be that, I'm gonna pop the valve cover off and inspect - but like I said, didn't notice anything with the screwdriver trick....I'm at a loss