• Register Today It's free!

Ticking noise 06 Explorer

rburro2

Reaction score
City, State
Chula Vista, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
The engine makes a ticking noise. It is most notable when idling in gear. It does get less when put in park or neutral, but still detectable. Could this be the lifters or timing chain? Has anyone else had this problem?

06 Explorer 4.0, 170,000 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

probably timing chains. search my posts. i tried to replace it and ended up paying double. If you can ignore the noise, just drive the damn thing until it stops. if you can't deal with it, start looking for another motor. rebuilt motors go for $2500, used go for $1500.. just depends on how long you plan to keep the truck and how much its worth to you.

In short..
Mine started ticking around 187000 and I paid $1000 to replace chains, then all sorts of problems started happening after replacement and spend another $1000. finally replaced motor for $2300 with labor.

Yeah from everything I have read it definitely seems like a valve train/timing chain issue. I guess I'll keep using good oil and see how long it will go.

Yeah from everything I have read it definitely seems like a valve train/timing chain issue. I guess I'll keep using good oil and see how long it will go.

good idea!

Does the ticking get faster when you hit the gas? I have that in my '08, and it is a confirmed exhaust leak (confirmed by head mechanic at local ford dealership). Extremely common in most ford vehicles. I've heard it's frequently the gasket off the engine at the headers, as they dry out and shrink, but haven't had the time to diagnose the source spot on mine yet.

Does the ticking get faster when you hit the gas? I have that in my '08, and it is a confirmed exhaust leak (confirmed by head mechanic at local ford dealership). Extremely common in most ford vehicles. I've heard it's frequently the gasket off the engine at the headers, as they dry out and shrink, but haven't had the time to diagnose the source spot on mine yet.

Let me guess, you have a 4.6. They like to crack the exhaust manifolds and fold cam phasers. He is running a 4.0, they like to detonate internally due to a poor design instead.

Back