• Register Today It's free!

ticking noise at idle

Redneckfordf250

Reaction score
City, State
Backwoods of AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94Explorer 96ranger
I have a 94 Ford explorer 4x4 4.0L with A4LD. The engine is from a 92 ranger. Currently I have no codes however at idle my explorer has a light ticking like noise coming from the engine. I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Any ideas?

My buddies 2000 ranger 4.0L has the same noise but his is pretty beat up so I am not sure if these 4.0s do that or not.
Trav

Lifter noise very common with our high mileage motors. Check your oil level mine ticks louder when the oil level gets low. Its not actually the lifters making the noise but sometimes a lifter doesn't pump up creates play in the valve train making the tappet sounds.. We have Hydraulic roller lifters that pump up is how they work. They get clogged with sludge and can cause the hydraulic to not pump up. I been kinda planning to clean mine but its a major job heads got to come off to get them out.

Well my oil is all good and the mileage is only 143K.

Also I have one more problem:
once in a while when I drive the truck and I go to put it back in park it just dies no warning at all. It only does it once in a while. What in the world could cause that?
Trav

Redneck ford, This happens to me occasionally and my problem was my keys getting stuck against my shift lever as I threw it into Park, simultaneously turning my ignition off!

Back