Ticking noise coming from underneath (video) | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Ticking noise coming from underneath (video)

Arsenil

Reaction score
City, State
Monte-Carlo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited 97 4.0l 4WD
Hey guys,

i have some trouble with the truck it's why i'm sharing a video with all of the members and pro to tell me your suggestion.

I have a ford explorer 97, 4.0l SOHC 4x4 and it got : 111'162.6 Miles.
I recently made : 3" Body lift, Add a leaf procomp, RS9000XL, 275/70/16.

Let's play the video :

Thanks for your suggestion in advance.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

joe doe

Reaction score
City, State
slatington,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ex sport 4.0 ohv
wow that a heck of a tick .
first thing i`d try is remove the belt and try it again .dont run it long obviously as the fan wont be running .
if the sound isnt there during that test then its something along the belts path .

if its still there then you at least know its nothing in the rotation parts up front .

do you have the ohc(overhead cam) engine?that could be the timing chain death rattle ....i dont have that engine so i wouldnt know but if you do thats something thats a very common failure .if it is the timing chain rattle on the ohc then get it fixed right away or engine damage could occur when it breaks .

mp223

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 EB SOHC
I would be interested in the solution as well because occasionally I hear the exact same sound.

Ricco4592

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer sport
When I first got my sport my engine made that same sound when I would first start it. Was the front chain tensioner. changed it and no more noise