Ticking noise, trouble accelerating, bogging, check engine light?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking noise, trouble accelerating, bogging, check engine light??

ibunkerpeople

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
I started to notice the ticking noise on my way to work about two days ago. Everytime I would accelerate I would here a constantly ticking, like a belt, until I took my foot off the accelerator and the sound would go away. I didn't think anything of it at first but it sounds unusual since I never heard my truck make the sound before. On my way home that same night when I got on the interstate, I began to accelerate to get up to speed and it was as if my truck was trying really hard to not so much shift but just... accelerate if that makes sense? More so than usual. When I got up to speed and it hit 60-65 the check engine light started flashing, went solid, then flashed again going back to solid, I turned my overdrive off to see if that would do anything and the light started flashing again. Got home no problems.

Fast forward to today, I drove my truck around the block, same ticking noise when I accelerate but when I would come to a complete stop, at a stoplight for instance, and then accelerate to go, the truck would idle roughly as thought it couldn't accelerate and then about a second or two later would finally move. I took it on the freeway again and the same thing happened to my check engine light then minute I hit 60-65 the check engine light flashed, I got off the freeway and when waiting at the stoplight to turn onto my street, my truck would idle roughly and felt like it was going to stall. I'm taking it to a shop near my house to get it checked see if the computer can tell me anything but I was wondering if anyone had problems similar to this? And if so what was wrong and how you fixed it? I miss being able to drive my explorer around :(

Ticking sound when acclerating, check engine light

I realize that post was from 2 years ago...but did you ever find out what the problem was? Mine is doing the same thing.

Same sluggish acceleration/loss of power.... HELP PLEASE

Yes please! Ever get it sorted out? I have a 99 Ford Explorer SOHC 4.0, having the same issues. Idols very rough almost dying, poor acceleration, expecially at lower speeds or up hills, then bursts with speed like it just got some gas. My gas mileage has dropped tremendously and at times you can smell exhaust or gas. And there is a rattle under the truck, around the muffler. Sputters on and off. Check engine light stays on and during the times it is lagging and won't accelerate/loses power, the light will flash. Checked the MAF sensor, changed the fuel filter and oil. Kinda leaning toward the O2 sensors next? IDK please help. Just spent $2600 last january to put in a new transmission.... Not sure how much more I can put into this......

Back