Ticking noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking noise

explorernoob

Reaction score
I am getting a ticking noise at constant intervales (every second), which increases in rate as the RPMs go up.
It does not sound like the lash adjuster / lifter etc.
This sounds much like a pre ignition, which can be heard at RPMs slightly ligher than Idle.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are sure it's not lifter related, check the wires for starters.

What I meant to say, was that it may be an ignition wiring arcing over. Is there any engine miss? Does the ticking sound metallic or electrical?

i went under and looked in the dead of night around the starter area to no avail.
there is no engine miss.
What seems even more peculiar is that when the engine is under load after sitting a few hours i seem to get a constant pinging noise.

update...
i started the car today and for the first two minutes the car ran perfectly; however after a few minutes the noise returned fora few minutes and subsided.
It looks as though it's pinging while the car is warming up. This is a very heavy pinging situation (if it is pinging at all).

Any ideas?

update.
i seem to have a vacuum leak.
when i play with the butterfly on the throttle body, i hear a sucking noise.
i cannot find the problem as i ran carb cleaner at the joints of all vacuum lines.
Can anyone give me tips as to where the most common areas for a leak are?

Back