Ticking when sold started..

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
**TICKING WHEN COLD STARTED** (title typo)

My 92 EB, for a while now, off and on, when i start it from cold, like in the mornings after it sits all night or at least a few hours, the engine makes a ticking noise, and the higher the RPMs, the faster the ticking.

Im not sure what it is, it cant be good, and its also a little embarrasing, so id like to try and fix it, my engines not in the best shape of its life, but she runs really strong, all fluids have been recently changed, in fact, just today I had my oil changed to the MaxLife stuff, for engines with over 100,000 miles.

Anyone else have that problem? Is it serious?

OH BTW, it does go away after about a minute, if i start it and go, but if i start it and let it warm up, it takes a good couple minutes til the engines warm.

If you really wanted me to, I could get a short video up by tomorrow afternoon..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats your mileage? Could be piston slap from the cylinders wearing out.

238,x.. :dunno: lol

If its a tick and not a knock, I would guess that the valve train is just wearing out. When the motor warms up, the parts expand with heat, and then the tick goes away. That is normal with "cam in the block" motors because there is so many pieces to the valve train for error. I would jsut put up with it. Motors from back in the day did that off the show room floor.

With that high of mileage the dude above is prolly right. It just comes with age. Kinda like how my knee clicks. lol

Thanks guys, haha makes me feel a little better..not so worried now :D

I feel retarted, I spelled "cold" wrong in the title, plus I accidentally put it in the 95-01 instead of 91-94

It could be just a small exhaust manifold leak, heard as a tick until things expand and the leak goes away.

i get a short lived top end tick when starting my 93 if i let it sit for a few days or it is cold outside. oil drains out of the top of the motor, takes it a second to lube the the lifters and top end during start up. in a previous explorer i owned putting half a quart of lucas oil treatment in cured it. im not so worried with this one, the more i drive it, the better it feels.

Back